9

𝒥𝒶𝓃𝑒

"I cannot believe this." I groan in agony as my legs give out and I slump into the grass.

"I can." Libby snorts as she gathers some more corn. "Nothing our mother plans surprises me anymore."

After one dreadful ride home with Lord Armstrong my mother practically fell to her knees thanking him for bringing me home. She's so thankful that she invited him over for dinner and I have no way out of it.

"Why are they so obsessed with him anyway?" I have been trying to help Libby out but I keep on rambling about my issues instead.

"Because Janey, he's rich, well-bred, and he's the first man to look your way." Libby grunts as she yanks the ear of corn.

"Ouch." I mumble.

"Better him than one of the Peterson boys." She points out. That is true. Those boys are absolutely dreadful to be around. "What I don't understand is why you don't feel the same."

"See that is where you're wrong." I point. "He puts on this facade when he is around anyone who is not me. He acts like a thoughtful, gentle, caring man. But last night in the carriage he only talked highly of himself. He didn't even acknowledge what I had to say."

"Yet he was so persistent on getting you in that carriage." Libby mumbles as she slows down on her work. "So maybe he is a bit odd. But you must give him a chance. I gave Al a chance and look at us." She smiles.

"I suppose I could. Though I've already made up my mind." I look up towards the sun as it sets. "I do not love him."

"Jane!" I turn my head to see Charlotte and Amelia.

"Girls! You're back!" I squeal.

The girls had run off to some farmers ball a few towns over. I will spare you of the details because quite honestly it doesn't make sense. They run up to me and we all embrace one another.

"How was London?" I inquire.

Amelia giggles. "It was lovely-"

"But there are better things to talk about!" Lottie grips onto Amelia's arm. "Millie has some exciting news!"

"Lottie! We agreed to wait." Millie tries to remain serious but she can't fight back that smile.

"Well go on then. Tell me." I encourage her.

Amelia takes in a deep breath and grasps my hands with her gloved ones. "I am engaged!" She throws up her left hand.

"What?" My eyes widen. I look to Lottie and she nods excitedly. "So soon?" I laugh. Amelia gives me a confused look, making me shake my head. "Millie! My heart swells with joy for you! Pray, do tell me every detail. Who is the fortunate gentleman who has won your hand?"

"Yes, indeed!" Libby chimes in from behind me. I'm sure she heard all of the commotion and decided to join. "We are all ears, Amelia. Share with us the tale of your romantic triumph." My sister squeezes my shoulders.

"I won't leave you in mystery." Amelia gleams. "It was Lord Beckett. We saw each other again at the annual garden party hosted by Lady Fitzgerald." Ah so it wasn't a farmer's ball.