Chapter 3

Thanks to all of those who have been reading, commenting, and voting for this story. You all rock! I hope you enjoy this chapter. Kara and Paul technically "meet" but not really haha. You'll have to wait a little longer.

Vote and Comment!!

*********************************************************************

Kara’s POV

            I ran the brush through my dark blonde hair before throwing it up into a messy bun. Some of the smaller pieces fell out around my face but I didn’t bother fixing it. I glanced at myself in the mirror analyzing my outfit choice for the day. It wasn’t anything special. Just the basic jean and nice blouse that seemed a must for one’s first day of school.

            By now, I was used to the new student role that I’d undoubtedly be playing today at La Push High School. Even though I have done it a million times, it seems, I was still nervous. It was the first day of school after all and it didn’t matter how long I’d be here, I wanted to make a good impression.

            With one last look in the mirror, I grabbed my bag and walked down the hall to the kitchen. The house was quiet, my footsteps bouncing off the wall as I walked. My dad was already gone like I knew he would be. It hadn’t been two days after the move when Dad started working again. He was able to help me unpack everything and put things in their rightful place before he withdrew to the room in the house that he had deemed his office.

            That had been a week ago and I had barely seen him since. There had been a few nights when he returned home before I had gone to bed for the night. But in the morning, he was gone again. He told the drive would be pretty long to get to the office building in Seattle so he thought about looking for a small apartment in the city where he could stay if he had to work late. He had the money to do it and I really didn’t have a say in it as it was. He’d do it and I’d see him even less. At that point, I might as well be living on my own.

            I sighed as I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and take a granola bar from the cupboard for my breakfast. I glanced at the clock to see it was almost time for me to leave. The school wasn’t that far away and I had timed the walk on one of my days to explore. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I locked the front door and set out on my way.

            Outside, the sky was gray with the threat of rain. It was something Washington was known for that I had read about. It rained a lot here the article had said. From the last week I’d been here, it hadn’t been wrong. It rained almost every day and if it wasn’t raining, it was most likely cloudy. But there was one day that had been sunny and it was like La Push came alive.

            If it wasn’t raining, I went out to see the town. Since the only car we had was my dad’s, hopefully that would change soon, I was left to walk around to see the town. People were out and about on those cloudy days. People shopped, mingled, and got ready for the next day but that was something you could see any day of the year. It was like the summer never reached La Push. I could see why though because who would want to play in the rain and the mud.