Chapter 14

Hey hey everyone! I hope everyone had a great holiday season. Here's the next update for all you lovely readers. I hope the last chapter left you wanting more and that this one will be just as good. Thank you to those that have been reading, voting, and commenting. It really does help and keep me going. Let me know what you think!! FYI, the first part of the chapter is a dream. Didn't want you to be confused :)

Enjoy!

**************************************************************************

Kara's POV

My heart beat wildly in my chest as I ran. The woods were dark, the tops of the trees barricading any light from night sky coming through. I had to be quick to avoid colliding with anything around me. The limbs of the bushes and trees reached out for me, pulling at my clothes and scratching at the exposed skin of my arms. I could see my breath as I bolted through the trees but it wasn't the cold that made a chill run up my spine. The distant sound of a howl was what made my hair stand on end.

I could barely hear the sound of the rustling from behind me over the sound of my labored breathing. I couldn't see anyone, but I knew someone was there. It's the uncanny feeling of being watched that pushed me to run faster.

I pushed through some of the shrubbery and came to an abrupt halt. In front of me was a cliff, the water lay at the bottom and stretched out as far as I could make out. Out of the trees, the moonlight cast an eerie glow over the area. Where I had just run from was in shadow. Slowly, yellow eyes started to appear at the edge of the tree line. They were looking at me. Watching my every move.

I took a few steps back. My foot slipped slightly as it made contact with the crumbling ground at the edge of the cliff. Regaining my balance, I looked below me at the water. The cliff was made of jagged rocks and the water crashed violently at the base. No human could survive the fall but I doubt anyone going over the edge meant to.

"Careful Kara, you don't want to fall," I heard a voice say from near the trees. My head whipped around to see who the voice belonged to. The low hum of the voice was recognizable to me and made my heart jump into my throat. Paul stood a few feet away, the army of yellow eyes still behind him in the darkness.

"D-don't come any closer," I stated trying to keep my voice firm but the slight stutter at the beginning gave away how nervous I actually was. Paul's lips curled into a smirk and he took a few steps forward. Following him, the yellow eyes drifted out of the shadows revealing the bodies of several wolves. They were huge in comparison to the few wolves I had seen in my life and all the scarier.

"You asked for this Kara. You knew what you were getting into," Paul said, a flash of something in his eyes. I looked behind me again. The sound of the waves almost as loud as the pounding of my heart in my ears. When my eyes met Paul's, I gasped. They had turned yellow. With one last smirk, a growl ripped from Paul's chest as he lunged at me, transforming into a wolf as he did. I crouched down and screamed, ready for the impact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat up with a start. My shirt was sticking to me, drenched with sweat. My heart was beating fast as I tried to control my breathing. Looking around the room, I didn't recognize where I was. The room was definitely a guy's room by the look of the mess laying around on the floor.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and looked down at myself. I was still in the same clothes I was in last night. With that thought, everything came rushing to the front of my mind. Paul showing up at my house. Us kissing. The talk we had. The dream. Everything came rushing forward and I put my head in my hands to try to stop the feeling of nausea.