014. dinner conflicts

𓍊𓋼𓍊𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊𓋼

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ lover of mine.

014. dinner conflicts

╔═══════════════╗

STELLA CONKLIN'S POV

╚═══════════════╝

Conrad and I had been home from the bookstore for just over an hour and we were now sitting on the pool chairs shucking corn for belly's fancy birthday dinner Susannah threw her every year. I sometimes wish my birthday was in the summer, maybe i'd get a dinner like this too.

Nicole had invited everyone to a party later and Conrad said he'd go with me, and no doubt belly's in that group chat too, so her and Taylor will be there, but one can only hope they aren't. I was so focused on watching Conrad peel the leaves off the corn, that I didn't see him smiling at me every few seconds.

"Are you feeling better Ell?" he holds the corn in his hand still and looks at me in my eyes, smiling.

"Yeah, I might talk to belly later I'm not sure, it's not like she'll let me anyway," I look back down at the pool deck and feel Conrad move himself over to my chair, putting his arm around my shoulder and pulling me into him.

"If she is just going to let some boy, even if that boy is me, ruin your relationship with each other then that's on her," he rubs his hand up and down my arm, occasionally pressing feather-light kisses onto my temple. "It's not your fault you're doing what's best for you Ell, you deserve the world." Conrad whispers into my ear.

I lift my head from his shoulder and lean up and kiss him, he kisses me back until we get interrupted by someone coming outside.

"Oh hey guys, are you done with the corn?" my mum makes her way over to us, looking at me with a worried expression on her face. "What's wrong stella?"

"Oh nothing, don't worry," I say as I hand her the corn and walk towards the door, wiping the tears from my eyes.

Walking into the house I can smell the lovely food my mum and Susannah had been cooking and preparing all afternoon. I checked the clock for the time and realised it's 5:00, and Susannah always loved to have dinner by 5:30-6, so I decided to help her out a bit by setting up the dining table in the other room.

Susannah had bought all these midsommar themed decorations for the table, so I neatly set them out and had almost finished when Susannah walked into the dining room.

"Oh ell, you didn't have to do this," Susannah stood behind her chair at the head of the table.

"I know, i just wanted to," after placing the last things i walk over to susannah and she brings me into a hug.

"How are you and Connie?" she pulls me back after a good several seconds and cups my cheeks with her hands.

"Yeah we're good," I smile sadly and look at the floor, making susannah lift my head back up again.

"What happened?" she clearly thought Conrad had done something, which is the complete opposite of what happened. I reluctantly decided to confide in her about everything.

"Belly's mad at me, and she and Taylor have been belittling me all weekend because I'm with Conrad and belly won't talk to me anymore," tears start building up in my eyes again, making Susannah wipe them away immediately.