Chapter 20

Chapter 20

[MAYA]

Red sky with ominous dark cloud are the first things that greeted Maya and Sigren when they emerged from the depths of the ocean. On top of the mountain that they entered is Minokawa. His wings were covered in fire and spreading across the sky, making it look like the world was ending. Its ruby red eyes peered down on them, and Maya knew that it would only be a matter of time before the bird deity would head in their direction.

Sigren and Maya got off Bakunawa's back. Their feet were paddling through water to get to the shore.

'Get the son of Apolaki to pass out. I cannot kill Minokawa if he still has a vessel to hide into.' Bakunawa says briefly before moving back into the ocean, rising tall and countering Minokawa's ominous glare.

"Are you well enough to fight?" Maya turns to Sigren, as he has just recently had his stomach punctured.

"I'm still in a bit of pain, but it's not like I can't handle it." He nonchalantly shrugs.

A familiar noise makes Maya turn to her right out of instinct. Her eyes have just adjusted to the new lighting when she spots Lobo hurriedly running towards her. The wolf almost tackled her to the ground, whimpering in excitement when it saw her. Ingko, the serpent that's been taking a hitch on the wolf's back, slithers away and heads for Sigren.

"Lobo, thank goodness you're here!" She hugs her wolf companion tightly before remembering something important. "Where are Adonis and Janella?" Just as she throws out the question, a response immediately follows.

"Right here." Janella and Adonis emerge from the blazing forest, followed by a few Engkanto warriors behind them. Maya feels relieved at first upon seeing them, but noticing that they were holding their weapons tensely, she figured that it wasn't a friendly greeting. Janella and Adonis even share a dubious look on their faces.

"Guys?" She tries calling out to them, wondering what's with the uncomfortable atmosphere, but that's until she notices Adonis casting a look at Sigren standing right by her side. "This is not what it looks like."

"Explain yourself, Maya." Janella glances at her with a look of betrayal. "Explain to us what you were doing with Bakunawa and his son." She pauses, and a fleeting look of hurt passes her face. "Are you betraying us?" It wasn't just Janella who was looking at her in a certain way. Adonis was as well, while the warriors behind them looked ready and poised to fight.

"Maya, we're waiting." Adonis's voice is calm, but his tense movement tells Maya that he would be ready to strike if she ever answered him wrongly.

"Oh ho? Look where you are pointing your weapon, prince, before I cut off your hands." Sigren glares at the weapon in Adonis's hands.

"What did you just say!?"

"Sigren." Maya whispers warningly at Sigren, knowing full well that he can hear her. "Stay quiet for a moment and let me talk to them."

"We don't have the liberty of time, Maya." He reminds her.

"I know. It will just be brief." She assures him before turning to Adonis and Janella with her hands raised in a gesture of surrender. "I made a deal with the serpent."

"What deal?" Janella presses.

"A deal where Bakunawa will get rid of Minokawa."

"And you thrust the words of a serpent? And it's not just any serpent, but the great villain Bakunawa!?" Adonis moves and raises his spear, which is now pointing at her. "Are you sure you aren't compelled or fooled!?" A few voices of agreement can be heard from the warriors behind the twins.