Chapter 8

Chapter 8

[MAYA]

Maya wakes up, feeling something cold pressing over her forehead. Her whole body starts to ache as she starts to dream about scales and fangs. Not only that, but a certain stone keeps on popping in the back of her mind.

She cracks an eye open when her brain is finally starting to make out the words surrounding her.

"I am telling you, Angelo. The girl is in no condition to fight. It's ridiculous how you would think that she would have a chance against the aswangs." Maya recognizes the voice as belonging to Coach Oscar. From how he was voicing out his concern, she can hear a bit of frustration in them.

But why? she wonders.

When Maya finally opens her eyes, she sees the Engkanto girl, whom she saw during the attack. To her surprise, the girl look relieved, something that she has not seen anyone express towards her for a very long time.

"Principal Angelo, Maya is awake." She announces. Maya follows her gaze only to see that the principal and the coach are standing at the foot of her bed and it seemed like they were in deep conversation before she woke up.

"Thank you, Janella." Angelo gives her a nod. "Can you leave the room for a while? We need to talk with Maya."

Janella, as Maya just heard her name, carefully makes it to the exit, but before she left, she gives her a pitiful glance. Maya can't help but be concerned about that look.

"Maya." She turns to the principal and shifts her position on the bed so she can sit and address them properly. She folds her hands on her lap while taking in her surroundings. She doesn't seem to be in her dorm or anywhere that she knows.

"Where is this?" She starts to ask.

"You're in the faculty resting area. You were hurt so we brought you here."

"If I am hurt, shouldn't I be in the infirmary instead?"

"Unfortunately, the infirmary is a little packed at the moment." A grim expression crosses both of their faces. Maya soon starts to recall the events before she passed out. Words cannot express how sick and traumatized she is from blood and guts at this point. "Furthermore, it would be dangerous for you to be with the other crowd."

"Why is that?" Her brow shot up at her question.

"Because you were the only one who wasn't harm in...in a way that the other kids were. According to some testimonies, the aswangs did not even bother to attack you."

Maya's mind starts to figure out what the two were trying to convey to her. To be honest, she wasn't surprised at all that they would think of her that way. "I am not part of the aswangs, nor am I associated with them in any way."

"We know that, but it is hard to prove to the others that you are not involved with the aswangs, especially since the leader of the attack is Sigren."

"Sigren..." Maya mumbles the name before turning to Principal Angelo. "I don't get it. What's my connection with that guy? It's not my fault that the man returns to seek revenge."

Angelo and Oscar exchange a glance at that moment, like they were wondering if Maya is kidding or not.

"Maya, don't you remember Sigren?"

"I remember him as the guy from last night, but other than that, no. I don't even remember him going to the academy before."

Oscar sighs, being the first one to break the silence. "You had your memories altered, I see." He concludes. "But you remember Ingko, right?"