Theres Never a Plan

The stars burned bright, illuminating the dark figures of trees surrounding us. The fire flickered on the grass and I for once felt slightly relaxed.

"Echo? Would you please help me talk to Olli about you taking care of him? I don't want to do it alone." I looked over and saw Olli waking up, and Emma looking at me desperately.

There went the slight relaxation.

I got up and sat by Olli and Emma. She took a deep breathe and rubbed the top of his head.

"You know Echo?" she said softly and pointed to me. Olli looked at me confused and nodded, "She is going to take care of you because mommy has to go somewhere."

"What?" he said quietly and worriedly. She looked at me not knowing what to say next.

"I promise i'll protect you with my life, you have to trust your mommy and me..." He looked down and played with his fingers,

"Where are you going?" he frowned. My heart felt heavy and I hated that but I can't imagine how he feels.

"I have to- go somewhere where I can make sure your safe.Mommy promised you i'd always keep you safe, remember?" her eyes got teary but I could tell she was holding her composure.

"When will you be back mommy?" She wiped her eyes,

"Mommy can't come back baby."

"Why?" he cried.

"To keep you safe. You have to trust me, can you do that for me?" He nodded and she hugged him tightly. She put her hand on my arm, "Echo will keep you safe, won't you?"

"Yes I promise." I nodded and looked at the sad boy, his eyes wet, his cheeks glistening in the fires light.

"Here," Emma said taking off her necklace. She put it around his neck, "Mommy will always be with you, in here." she pointed to the heart necklace and hugged him again and he hugged her back tightly.

They stayed like that for a while, just holding each other. I forgot what that felt like. My mom passed when I was 14 and my dad was not what you'd call soft. He's a military man, same with my brother. As you can imagine I had to figure out a lot of things on my own before the end of the world even happened.

A rustle could be heard across the Creek, so I stood up and held up my gun. When I saw that it was only one walker I put my gun back in my waistband, "I'll get it." I said to Emma, she nodded and made sure Olli wasn't looking.

I started to walk across the creek and the walker growled under--his breathe? do they breathe? how would they growl if they didn't breathe?

Echo, nows not the time.

I stabbed him quickly and laid him in the grass soundlessly. I started walking back across the creek when I heard another rustle from the tall grass. I sighed and turned around waiting for it to come out, I saw one come out and as I walked towards it the rustles got louder so I started to back up.

"Emma, be ready to run." I whispered, she hurriedly packed up her stuff and held Olli in her arms.

Just as I thought, dozens of walkers starting coming from the bushes and the grass. I turned and grabbed my bag from Emma, "Come on." I said sternly. I grabbed my bag and ran into the woods with them.

She followed me close as we ran through the forest, even if they walk, they never get tired, cardio is IMPORTANT in this life.

I looked behind me and saw more coming from everywhere. There's definitely a town nearby if there is this big of a heard.

"Stay behind me," I said. Two came towards me so I kicked one onto the ground and stabbed the other in the head. I repeated this pattern over and over.

Six surrounded me so I grabbed Emma's arm and pulled her as we ran some more.

"Echo."

"I'll get us out of here don't worry."

"Echo!" I turned around and saw her holding Olli's head into her shoulder so he wouldn't see.I looked up at her face and blood was coming from her mouth. "You have to take him now, I can hold them back long enough for you to get away."

"I can't leave you to them, its not right." I shook my head and turned around taking out two  in one quick slash.

"You have to, there's too many."

"I can get us out of here."

"I put everything you might need, into your bag."

"No! I can't just leave you!" I said as I kicked a walker backwards and stabbed another.

"Echo. Please." I looked at her incredulity, I don't want to just leave. It feels awful, she's his mom.

"You said we would wait and i'd take care of it and make sure you don't turn into one of them."

"Things never go as planned anymore. Just please- take him." I looked at the walkers still coming from all directions and tried to hold in my emotions.

"Okay..." I stabbed three in the head as quickly as possible. The third one almost grabbed me but I impaled his skull in a quick hit.

She handed Ollie to me and kissed his head, "Be strong for mommy, please." his eyes grew teary and so did hers but she held it in, feigning strength, "I love you so much my beautiful boy."

"I love you mommy," he cried.

She pulled out her knife and hugged both of us, "I trust you Echo." I forced a sad smile. She ran towards the Walkers as I turned around and started to run as fast as possible.

"Keep your head down Olli," I whispered.

A walker came from no where so I kicked it and continued running.

It seemed like I was running for hours before I stopped and the sun was slowly starting to come up.

I looked at our surroundings and when I saw we were safe I set Olli on a big flat rock. He sat down and rubbed his wet eyes. "Are you hungry?" I asked him softly. He shook his head and looked at his hands, "Can you drink some water for me? You need to stay hydrated."

I handed him some water and he took a small drink and handed it back. When I put the water back in the bag I noticed a small teddy bear. So I handed it to him and he hugged it tightly. I took off my jacket and laid it beside him on the rock and he laid down.

"Try to get some rest, i'll stay awake and make sure we're safe. Okay?" he nodded and closed his puffy eyes.

I sat down on the ground beside him and put my hands on my fast beating heart.

I remember how it felt when I had to leave my dad. It felt like someone ripped out my heart, stomped on it, then told me I had to deal with it.

Some may say he doesn't understand it enough yet to feel that way. But when you're young, your heart is at its biggest. The world hadn't destroyed him yet.