Not Alone

Echo POV

Id never experienced so much pain at once. I did what she said to. I got burnt and stabbed with glass. I lost way too much blood.

Then for hours on end I was having glass yanked out of me and needles stitching, and the sting of the alcohol cleaning it. I passed out multiple times but it still didn't make it go any faster.

Most of the glass was more than a centimeter deep. I lost so much blood that I looked pale and my skin was in a cold sweat. My heart raced for days and days.

I was given an IV but what I needed was a blood transfusion. Apparently I was practically in a coma for three weeks.

I woke up in the white room when the doc was changing my bandages. I almost punched him but stopped myself realizing what he was doing.

He told me "You've been in and out for the pass two weeks. Most of the glass is out but i'm sure i've missed some. Your skin will push out anything that's not meant to be there. You'll be okay, just take it easy."

I nodded at him blankly. I felt like I was in a dream or like I was high and every time I moved it was like i'd get bit by fire ants.

I looked at my hands not recognizing them. They were scarred and burnt. I could see the holes the nails left from before under the burn in the shape of a wrench handle.

The door clinked, "Heard you were awake." Regina smacked her lips.

I so badly wanted to rip her head off, but I could hardly bring myself to move my eyes without my head pulsing.

"Quite a show you-"

"F** off Regina."

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that...But what I wanted to say is you are free of the ring for a month. You can get back to cleaning. Don't gotta do the perimeter either....I need you better before the next time so you preform your best." she turned to walk out.

"Does this sick twisted game even make you feel better?" I asked in bitter despair.

"No...It just passes time." she closed the door behind her.

Angry tears arose in my eyes.Passes time!?

The next day I was told to get the hell up and get back to work by a random guard I hadn't met yet. I glared at him and forced myself up. I couldn't feel my feet. it was like I was walking with pegs. Like my feet were flimsy blocks of cement.

I probably walked about 0.00001 MPH. It took me forever to get to the Mop closet that the guard had flung open and left not wanting to wait from my slow stride.

I pulled out the janky broom. I hopped and weakly swept.

It'd been hours and I wasn't even halfway done. I started to get really dizzy again. I couldn't lean my back to the wall, or my shoulder. So I rested my forhead on the wall and dropped the broom.

I couldn't tell if I felt like I was falling or if I was acctually falling.

"Woah, I gotchu," I heard a girl say as she held me up by my arms. "Where's your room?" she asked.

I went limp into her, not caring that I felt a few stitches rip in a few places. I was so tired and hurt so bad that nothing felt real. I didn't even feel like I was alive. "40," I mumbled the room i've been in. The number i've seen every time  I walk out of that same room.

We walked -well she walked, I stumbled and somehow she managed to keep me up.

She pushed down the door handle with her elbow and pushed it open with her foot.