Drawing

Cali POV

After a few days we already had the gate fixed up and all the dead cleaned up. I cleaned up the spare houses as best as I could with Clovers help.

Everyone else has been trying to settle in, making sure things are safe. Molly and Brandon are building a watch tower I believe. Caden is already looking for places around that we could get more material to build up the walls. He's also talking about where to start crops.

Everything's moving fast. Almost too fast. I can't seem to stop feeling like someone's missing. I can't forget her.Not even for a moment. But I remind myself what Echo said in the letter. Cling onto what's good.

Brandon and Molly got the first house along with me. I don't care that their in love. I still want to be roommates with Molly.

The other house Lincoln, Marty, and Caden share. The other house beside Beau and Ally, Olli and Cody get with Clover and her boys.

Beau and Ally offered that any of us could stay with them if we needed. We thanked them but politely declined. They should be able to keep their own house since they let us stay.

I've got to say. It's really odd waking up in an actual room. The first night, I woke up the next morning thinking maybe the whole end of the world thing was a dream. But then I rubbed my eyes and laughed at myself.

I went and grabbed a water and took a small drink, the breeze tangling my poofy hair. The days were getting cooler and it was wonderful. I hate sweating and getting sunburnt.

The van was parked in the Cossack still and that's where we kept most of our supplies. We all shared everything at our old home so we didn't see the need to divide. Including the many many guns we brought.

I noticed Cody sitting on the swings with Olli. Clovers kids seem to love the park. I can tell Olli does too but he misses Echo. We all do.

I sighed and decided to start a small fire to cook the squirrel Cody caught at like 3 am last night he said.

"Dinners ready!" I called after awhile.

I said grace in Echos honor which made some smile and some look at the ground upset but we all said amen and began eating.

Everyone enjoyed their food for the most part. I could definitely tell Beau and Ally hadn't had much good food for a long while by the way they inhaled their food. The rest of us havnt had the biggest appetite because of everything. I havnt even shitted in like a week. Sorry for the tmi but it's true.

Cody passed the rest of his food to Beau and Ally. By the time he got to the van the food was gone.

It made me happy, it reminded me of when we first met Echo. She was so happy that there was good food. I smiled at the memory.

Olli was drawing on the driveway with chalk with the other kids. I realized I had a minute alone with Cody.

I got up and walked over to the van where he went. When I got around I saw him smoking a cigarette. "Hey," I said.

"Hey."

"Are you doing okay Cody?"

"I'm alright." he nodded. I knew he was angry and I knew he wouldn't admit that so why did I come over here?

After a minute of thought I realized I should just say it even if he gets mad at me. "You're mad at her for leaving."

"Yeah." he said looking down and flicking the ash off his cigarette.

"I want to go back and get the peice of wood from the watchtower that she drew sketches on. That sounds crazy doesn't it?"

"No," he said in thought. "Why don't we then?"