A Chance

Cali POV

The day we left our home was probably the most foreign feeling i've ever felt. I didn't think we'd ever have to leave. I didn't think we'd ever have to leave someone behind. I didn't even want to think about it, or feel it. I just wanted everything to go back to the way it was.

We stayed the night at a village inn that Caden said he once stayed at. It's in Hillcrest.

Everyone was quiet as if it were a funeral. Which I guess it was. I shook my head not allowing my mind to wonder where it shouldn't. Echo wants us safe so that's what we're doing.

The next morning everyone crammed back into the van and drove to the small gated community. Caden said his cousins used to live there before the apocalypse happened.

We parked the van about a block away by a gas station. Clover, the kids, Caden, and Marty stayed behind while the rest of us went to see if this would be a good home. It was oddly like meeting up with a realtor.

We got to the front of it to see the front gate broken. No surprise there.

"Well let's just walk through, I don't see many walkers. I'm thinking we could take em out." Lincoln said. Molly hummed in agreement.

"Stay in formation." Molly reminded.

Lincoln was in front. Molly to the left and Brandon to the right. Cody and I kept an eye on the back.

There were four houses, a park, and a Cossack. The walls around the neighborhood definitely weren't high enough, probably only five and a half feet. The gate was busted, but other than that. This place could be perfect.

It was like Lincoln read my thoughts, "Don't get your hopes up yet."

After seeing there were no hordes hiding around and just scattered walkers, "You ready?" Molly asked. We all nodded and Molly whistled. The same whistle she uses to get Caden and I to stop arguing.

"Back to back." Molly said as the walkers started to walk toward us. There were probably about a dozen.

We all stayed back to back as we took them out one by one. I pushed one away from me as I stabbed another and Cody stabbed the one I kicked..rather brutally may I add. He slashed it like there was no tomorrow. I silently judged but decided not to bring it up just yet.

When body's surrounded us and there were no more walkers in sight, Molly whistled again. Nothing.

"Can I get my hopes up yet?" I asked.

"Not yet," Brandon answered.

"One house at a time, stay close." Molly said putting her knife loosely into its sheath and pulled out her gun.

We all walked to the first house and of course it was locked . But we got a sheriff on the team so it's fine.

Lincoln pulled out his knife,"It's them old locks, I should be able to just pry it open." He pushed the knife in and struggled a bit until finally the door popped open.

Immediately a walker growled and pushed its way toward me. Cody quickly hit it roughly with the butt of his gun making it topple and then stabbed it in the head.

Silently judge.

We all moved into the house staying in formation. Molly and Brandon cleared the upstairs while the rest of us cleared the down stairs.

The house was very dusty which is a good sign. It was also not too shabby. I would've killed to grow up in a house like this. Instead I grew up in a two bedroom apartment in Queens with two little brothers.