❏ nineteen : : ❜

"You are," Jaemin breaks the silence, making the rest turn their heads

"You are," Jaemin breaks the silence, making the rest turn their heads. "And you're also quite dumb." His words take Eunseo completely by surprise, as she expected him to be the last person to speak up. Although his word choice isn't the thing that surprises her, because he rarely leaves a chance to call her out, it is rather the timing.

Eunseo's expression turns into one of annoyance soon instead of the initial surprise as she scoffs, "I'll have you know I have a well earned degree, who do you think you're calling dumb?" Clearly, she doesn't take the dig towards herself well, even though she knows it is light hearted.

"A degree didn't make you aware of the heaviness of the box though, did it?" He questions back with such clarity and calmness that it once again leaves her lost for words, pointing towards her hands.

As though his words suddenly made her aware of her senses, she lifts the box up and then lowers it, and her annoyance is replaced by another bout of confusion. "What the hell is that?" She demands to know, patience isn't her greatest virtue. "Look at the surface of the box, does it look any different to you?" Jaemin decides to drop another hint, now impatience seeping through his usual callous tone, he too was getting amazed at how oblivious the girl could be.

Eunseo does as she is told and taps against the surface, feeling her fingers hitting something solid. "Hold up, there's another box lined up inside it!" Using her fast paced fingers, Eunseo slips them through the crack between the walls of the bigger box and the slightly smaller one, putting her all to hoist it up. Once she retrieves the flatter box with similar width to the initial one, her eyes widen as she recognizes the shape of it. "Don't tell me," she whispers to herself before hastily opening it— the bigger and empty carton falling out of her hands, to which she pays no attention at all —revealing a brand new MacBook.

"Holy shit," Renjun is the first one to exclaim loudly. It is soon followed by collective gasps from the rest of them as their eyes take in the latest model of the overpriced gadget.

"Just," Shuhua starts, "how loaded are you?" she asks with bewilderment in her eyes. "I can't even afford to buy it for myself, let alone for someone else."

Eunseo stands still with the now revealed present in her hand, she does not blink nor does she speak, as though a lifeless statue has taken over her place. "Girlie's going through all stages of shock right now," Chenle snickers, noticing Eunseo from his peripheral vision.

"Eunseo?" Jaemin calls for her, tilting his head to get her to look at him, which goes unnoticed, instead she speaks barely above a whisper, "It's midnight blue."

"Of course it is, I assumed you'd like it the most," Jaemin answers instantly, his brows creating crease lines in the empty space, his tone suggesting his anxiety. "Are you really thinking that you got me the wrong colour?" Eunseo picks up on his worry and scoffs in incredulity. "Are you fucking for real, Na Jaemin?"

Her aggressive yet consoling words ease the pressure on his mind, and he finds himself struggling to fight a smile. "I only know to do the very best," he says smugly, immediately earning a pillow in the face from Chenle. "And yet I have never received such from you," he scoffs bitterly, whilst the others unanimously agreed.