❏ twenty-seven : : ❜

The clock has yet to strike midnight

The clock has yet to strike midnight. The remaining people that were not bound by a curfew gathers around in the main hall, the mystical glint in everyone's eyes make Eunseo actually hope something good to come out of the year 2023, which is going to arrive in exactly seven minutes and forty two seconds.

"Find someone to kiss!" Someone yells out and the crowd respond cheerfully, some yelling back and some simply laughing. Obviously there are those who look like they would much rather be out in the streets than in here. Jaemin and Eunseo finally leave the balcony together and gather with the rest. Eunseo's eyes search the crowd for familiar faces, except for Minseok and Mirae.

"Found who you were looking for?" Jaemin asks, leaning down.

"Nope, found the one I wasn't looking for though," she clicks her tongue. "It's too crowded in the middle, let's go to the side, it's less suffocating," Eunseo says and in a completely instinctive movement, she grabs onto Jaemin's hand and drags him along with her.

Once they reach the secluded spot next to the staircase, Eunseo lets go of his hand and turns her back on him, not wanting to let him see the flustered look on her face.

"Five minutes to go!" Someone yells out, instilling a sense of anticipation in Eunseo. Although she couldn't let anyone see it. Everyone around her these days seemed to have given up on being excited for festivals or occasions, with all the constant posts online about how shallow celebrating new years is. Which keeps making her feel out of place for being oddly excited for the unknown.

But clearly her attempt at hiding her true emotions goes horribly. She looks up to see Jaemin biting down on his lips to stop a smile from forming whilst his eyes rake over her features.

"What?" She asks, embarrassed.

"You're acting like a kid," he decides to let out the small chuckle.

"Someone has to contradict you, grandpapi," she arches her brow, her comment causing Jaemin to cringe instantly.

"It's already icky enough in texts, now it's just indigestible when you say it out loud," he visibly shudders.

"That sounds like another reason to keep doing it."

Whatever Jaemin wanted to say goes unheard due to the sudden holler erupting around them.

"Two minutes til midnight!"

The reality of the year ending dawns on Eunseo. This year has been everything that could be called eventful. From gathering the courage to confess to getting her heart broken for the very first time in her life, from losing her best friend to finding out she was not as dependent on her best friend as she thought she was, from meeting new people to making new friends. Anything that was notable about her life, was in the year she spent. And it was somehow in this room at this moment too.

"What do you feel like?"

"Like exploding, along with the fireworks," Eunseo blandly replies, her eyes nervously flickering between people she doesn't know, all to avoid looking at someone else.