Chapter 14

"Hey, you."

"Hey, you." Deja threw her purse in a corner and smiled. "You were right, you know? That couch is perfect."

Callen grinned as he wrapped his arms around her. It was two days after Valentine's Day and they were celebrating tonight. Indulge was always packed with a special Valentine's menu, so there was no way he could take her out that night. Now they were here, in his house, for a small celebration.

"I still do like it." He kissed her with all the time in the world. "I was thinking that we're missing some sort of rug, though."

"Just a rug?" she winked. "How about a coffee table? Or a dresser?"

He rolled his eyes. "Fine. I'll add all of it to the list." Then he tugged on her hand, and took her to the dining room. "Can you at least give your approval to the dining room?"

She'd forgotten that the dining table had arrived, along with the chairs. He'd set the table with silverware and glasses she hadn't seen before. "Oh, it's gorgeous!" She took in the setting. "Linen napkins?"

Callen shrugged. "I know you like those better than paper ones. I bought them from an old lady at the vintage market at Victory. She used to own a fabric shop. They're all hand embroidered."

Deja smiled at him, tracing the pattern with a finger. "They're gorgeous."

"Don't worry, we have eight. I remember someone telling me even numbers are important in table linens."

Before she had time to respond, he was off to the kitchen. Come to think of it, it smelled divine. "What are you making? It smells heavenly."

Callen looked up from stirring in the pot. "Wait and see." He'd been preparing this for at least a week, even going so far as having Deeks sampling it. He didn't necessarily want to impress her, just wanted her to know he'd made an effort to make their first Valentine's Day a special one. When she wanted to approach the stove, he stopped her. "You are not supposed to be in here. My kitchen, at least for tonight. After that, yours as well." He softly guided her back to the dining room and pulled out a chair. "Go enjoy our new table. You want some wine?"

She admired the new glasses he had purchased. "Yes, please. Are these new as well?"

Filling her glass with wine, he nodded. "What can I say? Plastic didn't seem to do it for an occasion like this one. Besides, I think the pattern goes with the ones you have."

"Mine are antique."

He nodded, walking back to the kitchen. "Yeah, these as well."

Her eyes widened for a moment. "Seriously? Why? You could've just gotten Ikea ones."

Laughing, he shook his head. "And then get vintage ones when you decide to move in? I clearly recall someone saying that silverware, glasses and china are supposed to be old, because of the stories and the generations before us. The only exceptions being children and picnics."

Deja watched him with a grin on her face. He was rummaging around in the newly stocked kitchen, stirring in pots and pans she'd advised him to purchase. They'd have double when and if she moved in, but she could always leave hers at Indulge. "True as that might be, you didn't have to go all out for just Valentine's Day."

Putting bread and olive oil on the table, he then went back to the kitchen. "Oh, well, if I was going to invest in things for the house, I might as well go all out. Only thing is that we need something to store them in."

"Where did you keep them until now then?"

"Upstairs, wrapped in the same paper they came in. I've only just washed them, extremely carefully, I might add, this afternoon, before setting the table." He came back with two plates with steaming food and put one in front of her. "Milady, may I present, dinner."