Chapter 24

"What are you going to do at the office?"

Grisha grinned. "Babe, I haven't been at the office for ten days. Ten days. If I stay at home one more day, I'll go stir crazy. Besides, it'll give me a chance to bully Hetty into coming on Saturday, and to catch up with the rest of the team."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "You promise me not to overdo it? And keep your sling on?"

"I promise."

"How are you going to get there?"

"I'll take a cab."

She still didn't completely trust it, and Grisha pulled her close with his free arm. "Gorgeous, don't worry about it. I won't go any further than the office, I won't drive, I won't get into a complicated situation where I need to shoot my way out of. It's just so I can catch up with them and what they're doing."

Nodding, she wrapped her arms around his waist. "I know. I'm sorry. I just don't want you to get hurt when you finally get to take your sling of next week. And I sorta like having you home and at the café."

"I like being here too, babe. But I still have a job to do. You still have work to do, even when I'm at the café. If I spend one more day with whining customers or in the silence of this house when you're not here... I hope you have the psychiatric hospital on speed dial."

Her laughter resonated in his neck. "Fine. I know you'll go crazy just sitting around. At least at home I know you're safe with me."

He grinned. "I can promise you that the office is a fort where nobody gets in when they have no right to be. Nobody knows it's there unless they have to work there. I'll be fine."

"Okay." Dee pressed a kiss to his lips and smiled. "On your way back, you think that you can find a barber? Or get an electric razor? This scruff is getting a bit too much."

"I haven't heard you complain yet."

"I am now."

"Ah." He hadn't shaved in a few days. Dee didn't want to do it because she was afraid she would hurt him, and he couldn't with his wrong arm. "I'll make sure to return clean shaven."

"Thank you." The clock struck one and she let go of him, albeit reluctantly. "Is it okay if I take the Mercedes to work? I need to pick some things up on my way over there, and you have more space."

"You know where to find the keys." He pushed a few buttons on his phone to order a cab. "I'll let you know what time I'll be home?"

"You better." Picking up her purse and keys, she turned around to kiss him again. "I'll see you later. I love you."

"I love you, too." He waved as she pulled the front door closed behind her. An hour later, he arrived at the office.

Hetty looked up from her desk. "Mr. Callen. And here I was, hoping that you'd finally take all your sick leave."

Settling across her desk, he shook his head. "You didn't honestly believe that, right? I know there's more than an empty house to go to now. But that doesn't mean I'm not bored to death on the days she works."

"Then there's that." She smiled. "In that case, you want some tea? Have her parents arrived yet?"

"Tea would be great. I met her parents last Tuesday, actually."

"And?" Hetty prompted when he didn't continue.

He shrugged, then winced when he felt his shoulder. "She's a complete copy of her mother. Maria is really friendly. Her father is a real Brit; a bit more proper and stiff, I guess."