Chapter 29

Callen was staring out of the window. He hadn't said anything since they'd left the boatshed. Sam was still trying to piece everything he'd seen together in his head. Seemingly, a lot had happened in Callen's life he wasn't aware of.

At last, Sam cleared his throat. "Is there anything else I need to be aware of?"

Callen tore his eyes away from the glass. "Like what?"

"I don't know... From watching that conversation you had earlier, I've missed out on a lot." Sam was trying to keep his tone neutral, but he was struggling. He didn't understand why Callen hadn't said anything. Not when things were as serious as they seemed to be.

"Like what?"

"You have a name?"

"Yeah."

Sam was getting irritated with this passive aggressive attitude. "How long have you known?"

"Little over a year."

If Sam's sharp intake of breath was anything to go by, he wasn't happy about it. "You didn't tell me?"

"Apparently not." Callen turned back to the scenery out of his window. "Does it matter?"

"Apparently not." Sam gripped the steering wheel a little tighter. "Were you going to tell me that you've moved in together?"

"Not for a long time."

Sam parked the car behind a fire truck and turned the engine off. "Something I did?"

Callen threw his door open and got out. "Not really. Like I told you a few weeks ago, I needed to figure this out by myself. You've met her now, you know what she's like."

"Not really. I've said hello." Sam followed him. "She seems strong."

"She is." Callen flashed his badge and ducked under the tape. "Welcome to Indulge."

It was a mess. Debris everywhere. The ambulances had been long gone. Callen looked around. They'd had dinner here yesterday. Ted and Jess's fling, Ethan, had shown up and the girls had made a late supper after the café closed. And now it was gone.

Deeks showed up in front of them. "Hey, guys. No ID's on the victims yet." It was an almost apology to Callen. "Deja okay?"

"Pissed about being dragged away from home without a reason. Hawkins put her in the interrogation room."

Deeks frowned. "I'm sure Hetty's orders were to get her to the boatshed. Hawkins is just a kid. Surely, he didn't mean to treat her as a suspect."

"Either way, I chewed him out, sent him back to Ops." Callen pointed to what was left of the kitchen. "Blast came from there, right? It's right under the apartment. Have you found what's left of the bomb?"

"Bits and pieces." Deeks looked back to Sam as they started off in the direction of the kitchen. "You okay?"

Sam sighed, clenched his fists. "Other than that my partner doesn't want to tell me anything about his girlfriend or what his life is like, just great."

Deeks looked between the partners. "Give him a moment. This is all a lot for a Friday morning. He doesn't mean to be rude."

"No, he means to shut me out." Sam exhaled. "Where's Kensi?"

Deeks gestured to the kitchen. "Back there."

"... too little time to process everything. She's holding up." Callen indicated the mess around them. "What did LAPD tell you?"

"Not much. There's not much left." Kensi threw what was left of a pot back onto the floor. "Whatever their plan, they wanted this destroyed." She eyed Callen for a moment. "Are you sure you want to be here? We would all understand if you stayed at the boatshed with Deja."