Chapter 13: Crossroad

That night we gathered in Teiichi's room as we promised. Me and Nee-chan sat together in silence in front of the coffee table while Teiichi was making tea for us. Nee-chan looks the most stressed and I can only guess the reason behind it.

The three of us were in different classes. Today the teachers have explained that all classes must compete for the position of class A. The three of us both want to study in a good place, that's why we came to this school. It's a shame that guaranteed acceptance into college is only for class A students. Of course that doesn't mean that other alumni won't be accepted at all, it's just that everyone definitely wants a safer, more secure path so they can move forward without any worry.

Teiichi returned with a tray containing three cups of tea. After thanking him I tried to gulp it down a bit. The tea smells really good. I wanted to ask Teiichi about the brand of tea but it seemed the atmosphere wasn't encouraging for idle talk.

"Let's get straight to the point," Nee-chan said while looking at me. "Congratulations Yukiharu, your theory has been proven correct."

"Still," Teiichi said. "I didn't expect the education system at this school to be quite cruel."

Nee-chan rolled her eyes. "Yeah, cruel to us. It's a different story with a class A student like you."

"Our status as class A is not permanent. Every class still has a chance to catch up to us."

"Still I feel annoyed. They promised us this and that, but after we entered they said 'Sorry but everything we promised doesn't apply to everyone'. Yukiharu, don't you agree with me?"

"Well, that sure sounds annoying," I answered. "...but they're not technically lying."

"No, that is lying in my dictionary. Why do you two look so calm about this?"

"Because we kinda suspected it. Well, at least part of it."

"Still, don't you feel mad about being treated like this? You were placed in class C, you know? They think of you as only a notch above the lowest."

It was annoying but I also felt that my placement in class C wasn't wrong. Although I'm still a little confused with the placement criteria. Hopefully, everything will be answered in time.

"Yes, I agree," Teiichi said. "I also wonder why someone like Yukiharu ended up in class C, but never mind. Complaining will not get us anywhere. We have more important things to talk about."

Teiichi brought his body closer to the table before continuing. "As previously stated, each class is required to compete with the other if one is to pass as class A. Since the three of us are in different classes...I'm sure you all know what that means."

Both me and Nee-chan are just silent. Without needing to be asked, we both completely understood our current situation. Teiichi then ask us again. "Now, what do you want to do?"

"What do you mean by that?" Nee-chan asked.

"Exactly what I said. Sooner or later, the four classes will clash and when it does, will you actively cooperate with your classmates? If so, then we may also compete with each other, at least indirectly."

Nee-chan looks deep in thought. "I.... at this point I'm still not sure."

"I think we should wait and see," I said. Even though I already have a little idea about the first special exam, I still don't know anything about what comes after that. It is very likely that students who don't help the class at all will be ostracized. If that's true, then like it or not we have to make at least a minimum contribution.