Chapter 23: The Gap

Just as Kasai said, I'm fine. The examination that day yielded nothing and I could breathe a sigh of relief. After school, I refused my friend's invitation to hang out and went straight to the dorm. That day I didn't touch my game at all but instead, I opened the internet.

Before I start typing something I ponder for a moment. What I'm about to do may be dangerous. Maybe I'll regret it, but like it or not I have to do it anyway. With mixed feelings, I started typing the first keyword that came to my mind.

I spend so many hours surfing the internet that I almost forget to eat. My sister called me and told me to eat in her room but I refused saying that I was with my friends. After eating instant ramen I continued my search. I kept staring at the screen until my eyes started to get tired. Gradually the information I got deepened, but at the same time it became more and more difficult to believe.

The next day I decided to make an appointment with Kasai. We promised to meet up in the evening so I used the remaining time after school to continue my search a little bit. When the night time comes, I rushed to the meeting place.

***

Again the bench. I don't know why, but it seems like Kasai really likes that park bench. This is the third time we have met on this bench. I arrived early so I sat there and waited for Kasai to arrive. About ten minutes later she came in with her airpod in both ears. The girl walked while swinging her head slowly left and right and her mouth was singing the song she heard from the airpod.

Sovay, Sovay all on a day
She dressed herself in man's array
With a sword and pistol all by her side
To meet her true love, to meet her true love, did ride away

As she was riding over the plain
She met her true love and bid him stand
'Your gold and silver, kind sir,' she said
'Or else this moment, or else this moment, your life I'll have'

She sings an English song. I've never heard a song like this. From the tone, it is probably some kind of folk song. Kasai seems to have a unique taste in music.

"Ah, Kurose-kun, good evening," she said as she took off her airpod. "You didn't wait long did you?"

"No, maybe ten minutes or so."

Kasai was sitting on my left. She leaned back and stared at the park's lamp in front of us. Her hand then reached into her pocket and took out two pieces of gum. She ate one and then handed the other one to me.

"You want some?"

"No,"

Kasai put the gum back in her pocket. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?"

"I... have done a bit of digging."

"Hmm...about what?"

"About you..." Kasai stopped chewing for a moment. "I can't believe you're simply homeschooled. I did a very difficult hour-long search because I didn't have anything that I can use as a lead."

Kasai blew her gum into a balloon. She still hasn't turned her face to me. "You did something unnecessary."

"No, this is necessary. You said to yourself that there are three more people like you. How could you want me to help you face them when I know nothing about them myself."

"Hm...you are right, even though it will be useless in the end."

"So they are that scary?"

"Maybe..."

"Then more reason for me to find out. At least I want to know if you guys are not a member of some kind of shady secret organization or something."

"If we were, what will you do?"