Chapter 22: Uneasiness

The inquiry is finally done, now Kurose-kun and I are walking towards our class. The man walked in silence and I could not make out what was going on in his head. During the examination earlier, he only gave short answers. Usually in situations like this, even if innocent, people will usually be nervous and try to give as many explanations as possible even to the point of swearing that they are innocent. Kurose-kun wasn't like that, he remained calm during the examination and answered all the questions calmly too. I don't know if Kurose-kun is really involved with this case but he has definitely prepared himself for today.

I glanced at the man next to me. This time his expression was more obvious. His face was like that of someone who had a lot on his mind, and increasingly he also started to get restless. Is there anything he's afraid of? Was it possible that he was worried about his cell phone which was currently being inspected? To be honest, I was a bit suspicious of him but on the other hand, it's hard to imagine that Kurose-kun would do something like that. Maybe he was framed for real? The longer it goes on, the more confused I become.

Actually, this examination was nothing more than a desperate attempt from the President to save his classmates. In order to prove that they were framed, President must be able to find the real culprit. We all thought, even if Kurose-kun wasn't the culprit, he could at least give us a hint. From what I've seen from the inquiry just now, we got nothing, now everything is depending on that phone of his.

However, if Kurose-kun is guilty, then our class will lose points... Ah...I swear, I'm really confused now. Why did I even suspect my own classmate? Especially after Kurose-kun helped us by saving low-grade students. Maybe he was disappointed in me for treating him coldly just because of an unconfirmed accusation. Even so, I still feel too doubtful to believe it.

"Kurose-kun..." I decided to call his name and break the awkward silence. At the very least, I should try to talk to him.

"Yes?" Kurose-kun shuddered slightly. Perhaps my words had interrupted his reverie.

"You've helped me before, and I want to believe you...you really have nothing to do with this, right?"

Kurose-kun was silent for a moment before finally answering. "The expulsion of eight people...and those photos, I swear I didn't do any of it. I know you may still have doubts but—"

"No, I believe you."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I decided to trust you for now. It's unlikely you would do something that could harm our class." Besides, if you think about it Kurose-kun didn't have a clear motive. He didn't look like a pervert who liked to stare at girls.

"I see...thank you Satonaka, that helped," he answered with a smile. It was the first time I saw him smile. It was only a faint smile but it was enough to startle me. It seemed my words meant a lot to him.

Without realizing we had arrived in front of the class. We both entered and many pairs of eyes immediately looked at us. Kurose-kun immediately returned to his seat regardless of all the stares thrown at him. He was immediately surrounded by his friends who asked various questions and so am I. I haven't even had time to sit down yet and my friends have already started questioning me.

"Ayase-chan, you're from the student council room right?" asked Kashiwagi Kirino-chan.

"Yes,"

"That means you're participating in Kurose-kun's examination?"

"Um...yes. We just finished."

"So how is it?" this time it was Tsukimi Tsuyu-chan who asked. "Is Kurose-kun really involved in something suspicious?"