Chapter 20: The Handshake

I sat dumbfounded on the cold bench at night. To my right was a vending machine and to my left was Teiichi nervously drinking a canned drink. I didn't pay attention to the brand and wouldn't care. Right now there was something more important to attend to.

After receiving a call from Teiichi I immediately said goodbye to my friends with the excuse that I had urgent business. They looked disappointed that I had to leave early but what can I do? Before leaving, I glanced at Kasai. The girl looked at me with an innocent face. I'd love to confront her right then and there, but I can't possibly do that in front of everyone. For now, I have to hear the situation from Teiichi.

"So, what happened, Teiichi? What makes you so panicked?" I asked, breaking the silence of the night.

Teiichi doesn't seem to know where to start. He needed a bit of time to organize his thoughts before explaining. "About two hours after the midterms, Dojima-senpai called me. He told me to come to the student council room, and when I got there...eh, Satonaka-san also came...after that Dojima senpai explained that today eight people had been expelled."

I gulped. I could feel a drop of cold sweat dripping from my forehead. "The students who were expelled... which class are they from?"

Teiichi took a sip of his drink. "Four people from the second year. Two each from class A and B. The remaining four people are also the same, from class 3-A and 3-B."

So the student who was kicked out was not from my class. I'm glad, but it's too early to feel relieved. These expulsions must have something behind it to the point that Teiichi asked to see me.

"Why were they expelled?" I asked.

"Do you remember what Yukie told you the other day? About, the discovery of the camera in the women's locker room."

"Yes, I remember."

"It seems these people are the culprits. On their cellphones, they found...indecent photos of female students."

"That sounds impossible, eight people of different classes and years conspire to commit such a petty crime? After all, they are seniors, they of all people should know the rules of this school."

"Yeah, that's the problem. Two of them were Dojima-senpai's classmates, and he did not doubt that they were being framed. Unfortunately, the evidence is too strong to refute, despite this oddity."

Even though the situation was quite strange, the school still had to take action. There was no way they would allow a sexual crime suspect to remain in this school. Now, talking about the main problem.

"So, you came here to ask for advice, or something else?"

"Actually..." Teiichi looked hesitant to speak. "You're in big trouble."

Oh God, don't tell me. "...Don't tell me they suspect me...again?"

Teiichi...nods slowly...The fuuuuck? What is this? I'm getting angry. Why does this always happen? What the heck were they thinking? Is there any evidence indicating my involvement?

"I know what you're thinking, I'm also confused myself," said Teiichi. "But, you really didn't do it, did you?"

"Seriously, Teichi? If you also suspect me then I will be pissed."

"Okay, I'm sorry. I shouldn't doubt you, but..."

"So they found something that leads to me?"

"Well...somehow all the expelled students have your number."

"...All of them have my number?"

"Yes, they all have your number."

It's not uncommon for seniors to have their juniors' cell phone numbers. Especially for those who are members of the same club. But I didn't belong to any club and never had a relationship with any seniors. Not only that but my name appeared in the contact list on the eight suspects' cell phones. If my contacts belonged to only one or two of them, then I wouldn't be under suspicion.