VIII

SCREAMING, EMRYS FOUND HIMSELF surrounded. He grimaced and moaned through his gritted teeth as he glanced between his shoulder, discovering he had been struck by a bolt, to Arthur towering over him. He couldn't understand what the Prince was saying, only that he could slightly read from his lips that Arthur was trying to get him to stay calm and stop moving. Emrys found it difficult to focus on anything but the present pain. Ugh, that Merlin! he shouted in his head. I'll kill him if he doesn't get me killed first!

"Merlin, calm down!" Emrys fought against Arthur as the Prince unsuccessful moved Emrys's hands to get a look at his shoulder. Arthur glared at Emrys. "Merlin, if you don't sit still and let me take a look then I'm going to knock you out."

His words finally reached Emrys and he settled down. Not because he wanted to, but because he feared losing consciousness. Amongst all the pain, he had forgotten to play his part. Arthur couldn't find out who he was. Not yet. He felt disgusted letting Arthur, again, touch him but Merlin wouldn't have argued against it. Not with a wound this deep, and whether he liked it or not, he wasn't going anywhere with this bolt in his shoulder.

"It's in there pretty deep," Arthur said as he pealed back Emrys's jacket. His words felt like it brought a new pain, and Emrys could suddenly feel the shaft deeper in his muscle. He cringed and let out a whimper, but Arthur flashed him a smile. "Don't worry. I've seen worse."

Emrys rolled his eyes. Even through Arthur's smile, he could tell it was fake. Arthur was scared. Emrys wanted to laugh. If only the Prince knew that Merlin was gone. Then he would be begging for him to die. Luckily, he didn't give up so easily.

"We need to get it out," said one of the Knights, who was kneeling at Emrys's right. "It'll get infected by the time we make it back to Camelot."

Arthur squinted as he gazed at the bolt. After a couple seconds, he let out a deep sigh and his eyes met Emrys's. "He's right."

Emrys clenched his jaw. Of course he was, and of course he had to be awake experiencing all this pain. Even locked away inside Merlin's mind, he could see and know what was going on but pain wasn't a feeling. He had long since mastered the art of seeing behind Merlin's eyes, and especially being able to do so without Merlin's knowledge, but he could never feel anything until Merlin passed out and gave Emrys control. Merlin got the pleasure of sleeping through the hard parts, and for once, Emrys actually wished Merlin was awake. Then Emrys would only have to deal with the aftermath, but that pathetic little man always passed out at the slightest pain.

Trying his best to relax his body, he nodded and eyed Arthur. "Do it." His voice came out surprisingly more weak than he had imagined.

Arthur traded places with the Knight on Emrys's right, and he gripped the shaft in one hand while laying his other palm on Emrys's shoulder just around the bolt. His eyes darted between Emrys and the bolt. "I won't sugar coat it. This is going to hurt like hell."

Emrys fixed his eyes on Arthur and said through spurts of energy, "Just ... get it over ... wi—" Arthur suddenly yanked, and Emrys shouted as loudly as his lungs could muster. The pain he felt was indescribable, unbearable, and nearly knocked him unconscious, but he held on. He was determined to stay awake. Even with Merlin's side of this shared brain out cold, if he passed out too he would risk Merlin waking first and taking back control and he needed whatever little time he got.

The next thing Emrys felt was a burning sensation as Arthur poured water over his wound, followed by immense pressure. "Hang in there, Merlin, I'm almost done," came Arthur's abroad voice. "Bring me some bandages!"

Emrys was doing all he could to stay awake, but his mind was no longer present. The world around him became foggy and his brain felt clouded. He could hear everything Arthur said but none of it seemed relevant. Even the pain died away as his mind ventured further away from reality.

"Stay with us, Merlin!" The Knight now to his left gripped his good shoulder trying to keep his attention as Arthur speedily bandaged him up.

Emrys's vision faded in and out of darkness and his head felt heavy allowing it to roll to the side. He knew he wasn't far from blacking out. Summoning what little strength he had left, he forced himself into a sitting position shouting with the agony that came from the movement.

"What are you doing?" Arthur asked, confused as he finished tying off the bandage.

Emrys, panting laboriously, glared at Arthur though his eyelids were heavy making it hard to focus. He placed a hand over his wound and could feel the warmth of the blood as it already began to seep through the bandage. He had to think of something that Merlin would say. He had played the role of Merlin several times in his life, but for some reason, now he had a hard time coming up with the right thing to say. "I'll rest when we get out of here. Morgana and her men could come back to finish the job."

Arthur stared at Emrys for a moment thinking before taking a quick glance around. "You're right." He returned his gaze. "You need to go but I'm staying."

"Are you crazy?" Emrys interjected. His eyes ventured from Arthur, to his wounded shoulder, back to Arthur. "This was obviously a trap. She knew you'd come searching for your men. Morgana wants you dead and that's exactly what will happen to you if you stay."

Arthur stared at him with determination. "And that's why I can't leave without finding them. She'll kill them."

"Arthur, they are probably already dead." Emrys paused feeling disgusted by what he was about to say next. "I'm sorry. I know how important the Knights are to you and how much you need to find that crystal, but we need to go before she comes back."

Arthur raised a brow and aggression thickened his tone, "I didn't take you for a coward, Merlin. You're usually the optimistic one."

Emrys's blood boiled. Gritting his teeth more out of anger then pain, he climbed to his feet. "A coward?" Arthur rose to meet him eye to eye. "You think just any servant would follow their master into battle? Would put themselves in harms way? Would risk a bolt being shot into their arm?" He leaned forward. "I may be many things, Arthur, but a coward isn't one of them."

He could tell by Arthur's expression that he regretted what he had said. Arthur looked to the ground. "You're right. I shouldn't have said that." He returned his gaze. "You're no coward." He looked left then right and leaned in to Emrys's ear as he whispered, "Speak to me like that again in front of my men and I'll have you flogged." He pulled away and shouted, "Lets go! We'll bury our dead within our borders. Not here." He turned around and walked off.

Emrys twisted his head towards the direction that Morgana and her men had retreated. He kept thinking of her. How Arthur had hurt her. He wanted nothing more then to rip Arthur's throat out for laying a finger on her. He was just thankful that he had been able to stop Merlin from hurting her. With Merlin's power, he could've easily wiped her out, and he couldn't bear to lose her. Especially to Merlin. Watching his own hands destroy the woman he loved would be worse then torture.

Now Emrys knew what really happened to the crystal that Morgana had paid for. Somehow, he'd have to get it to her. They needed that crystal to tell them the future of Camelot.

"Merlin, are you alright?" Emrys turned his head the opposite direction to find Sir Leon approach him. "Do you need any help?"

Emrys resisted the urge to glare at the man. He never needed help, and certainly not from one of Camelot's Knights. Keeping his temper in check, he said, "Thank you, Sir Leon, but I'm alright."

He took a step in the direction where Merlin had left the horse when unexpectedly, his leg grew weak and he nearly collapsed. Sir Leon swiftly grabbed him under his arm and steadied him. Playing up Merlin's roll, Emrys chuckled. "Guess I could use a little help after all."

Even though he desperately wanted to refuse, he allowed Sir Leon to lead him to his horse and help him mount. It was one of the most embarrassing things he had ever done, but knowing Merlin, he would've taken any help offered.

He felt extremely uncomfortable on top the horse as the mare shuffled back and forth, and with each movement brought a new wave of pain. The road back to Camelot was going to be treacherous. He just hoped he could hang on and not succumb to the enticing desire to fall into unconsciousness.