XX

STANDING WITH HIS BACK to the tree, Merlin eyed Arthur across from him as the two waited for Morgana's men to run by. They had been chased down the hill where Merlin was able to send Kilgharrah away, hopefully causing a rippling effect on Morgana's plan, but the battle was far from over.

As the sound of boots died away, Merlin glanced around the tree to find that Morgana's men had passed them by without notice. Glancing back at Arthur, Arthur gave a nod and gestured with his head for the two of them to continue their way towards the last place Morgana was seen, and once Merlin found her, he would make her pay. He was no longer be the scared little boy who couldn't sleep without flashbacks of her torture coming to the forefront of his mind. No. Now, he would take that pain and allow it to fuel him as he made her beg for her life.

Stepping around the tree, Merlin pushed aside some shrubs as he sprinted to the path behind Arthur. A sudden sense of danger rang through his head and he stopped as an invisible force hit him like a brick wall, but Arthur continued.

Whipping his head to the side, he watched as one of Morgana's men released a bolt from his crossbow aimed directly at Arthur. Instinctively, a pulse of Merlin's magic left his body as he eyed the bolt. To his eyes, it slowed down giving him the chance to chant another spell in his mind, and with a flick of his head, the bolt found home in the bark of a tree inches in front of Arthur.

Arthur skidded to a halt and flipped around eyeing Merlin, as if he was truly seeing him as a sorcerer for the first time; not one to be afraid of, but one to be thankful to have around. After a few brief seconds, Arthur turned left as four of Morgana's men, along with a woman dressed in purple, descended the slope. The men charged them, but the woman stalked slowly behind. Arthur quickly drew his sword and blocked the first swing, metal clanging throughout the dawn.

Merlin barely had time to make sure Arthur was safe from his attacker before one of the men charged into him. He was thrown to the ground, the soldier towering over him with his weapon drawn. "Well, isn't this a sight. Imagine finding the man we're supposed to be following with the man he's supposed to be killing." Merlin narrowed his eyes at the man. "My guess ..." He leaned down and shook his head. "You're not him." With a smile, he grasped the hilt of his sword in both hands and held the tip above Merlin's chest.

Just before the man could plunge his sword into Merlin's heart, Merlin jerked his head forward and the men flew several feet into the air. He landed on the ground, his head slamming against a boulder, and the man didn't get up.

Rising to his feet in a hurry, Merlin used his right hand to swipe away the men attacking on Arthur's right, and with his left hand, he forced back the man at Arthur's left.

Arthur turned to Merlin and gave a nod with his head in gratitude before maneuvering his sword in a fancy way as he eyed the woman who glanced between the both of them.

Her gaze settled on Merlin and she eyes him puzzled. "You're not Emrys," she said, her tone almost giving off a thankful vibe.

Merlin scanned her. "Emrys is dead," he said blankly.

Her eyes widened. "Dead?" she asked with disbelief.

"Enough of this!" Arthur shouted, bouncing the hilt of his sword in his hand. "Merlin, if you please."

Merlin froze, shocked by the Prince's words. From the corner of his eye, he gazed at Arthur and noticed that his expression remained unchanged. He couldn't shake the strange feeling he had knowing what Arthur was implying. Very quickly had Arthur seemed to go from not knowing exactly what to do about Merlin's magic, to using him as his weapon in battle. Much like Morgana was doing with the Druids. Swallowing, he summoned his courage and gave a quick nod. He felt his eyes tingle as they glowed, and the druid was knocked off her feet.