XII

EMRYS LAID STILL ON the stone table in the dark, dank cave looking up towards the ceiling. A sense of excitement, relief, and peace filled him as he slowly let out a breath to calm his racing heart. Finally, after all these years, he was going to be free of Merlin once and for all. No more skipping days at a time, no more feeling trapped in the mind space, and no more losing control of his body.

A sudden flash of light burst through the domed chamber as the torches on the nearby walls burned brighter, and Emrys jerked his head up. Darius stumbled in bloodied and bruised. He cowardly glanced behind him towards the doorway before stepping up to the side of the table.

Seconds later, Morgana strolled in with a smile. "It's time, Emrys. Are you ready?"

Emrys returned the smile and said as he laid his head back down against the stone, "I've waited a very long time to be rid of Merlin."

"And that time has finally come." Morgana's eyes shifted towards Darius. "Let's begin."

Darius glared at Morgana. "You do realize you're messing with prophecy?" He spoke to her as if she was stupid. "Not even a High Priestess should mess with what has already been set in stone."

"I'm not messing with anything," Morgana corrected. "It all depends on what prophecy you tell as a bed time story." She took slow steps forward. "You follow the prophecy of a young warlock overcoming his enemy to save a young prince, whereas, I follow the prophecy of a powerful warlock rising up against the greatest enemy that magic has ever seen and succeeds." She shrugged. "Such a shame that those two very different people just so happen to be trapped in the same body."

"Listen to me," Darius pleaded in what looked to be his last resort. "You don't know the kind of power you're dealing with."

"And apparently you don't know the kind of power you're dealing with," she fired back. She balled her hands into fists. "Get rid of Merlin! Or so help me you'll never see your daughter again."

Darius let out a heavy sigh through his nose, his shoulders sagging. "It's a long process. It'll take time."

"You have two hours," Emrys interrupted before Morgana could say another word. "We don't have long before the battle begins." He lowered his gaze searching for Morgana. When he found her, he said, "With the battle going on, no one will see me sneak in to see him." He gazed at her more intently. "We will win." He whipped his head back to Darius. "Get on with it!"

"Two hours isn't enough time," Darius tried explaining.

Before he could say another word, Emrys flung his hand to the side. A burst of magic left his body, and Darius flew backwards whamming his back against the stone wall. As Darius slid to the ground, Emrys said, "Two hours is all you get."

"You better hope you succeed or your daughter dies," Morgana finished before twirling around and marching out of the chamber.

Darius clambered to his feet and cradled his right arm as he leaned against the wall. He grimaced as he pushed off against the stone and trudged his way back to Emrys. Glaring down at the warlock, Darius spat, "Fine. But don't say I didn't warn you. Rushing this process will have direr consequences."

Darius lowered his injured arm and clicked on a set of shackles around Emrys's wrists and ankles that were bolted to the stone table. Emrys narrowed his eyes as he tried pulling his arm free. "What are these for?"

Standing at Emrys's feet, Darius slowly turned his eyes upward. "So the agonizing pain you're about to experience won't send me across the chamber again." He held a hand out, palm facing downward, and started chanting a long incantation.