XVII

BRANDISHING HIS SWORD, EMRYS stalked the hallways cutting down any Knight of Camelot that stood in his way. Unfortunately for them, they never saw him coming. But how could they when he was wearing an allies face?

The sound of screams rang throughout the night air and bursts of fire lit up the hall through the windows. He clenched the hilt of Excalibur tightly in his grasp and smiled as he rounded a corner. He could feel him just up ahead. That presence wasn't one he could easily forget.

Up ahead, Prince Arthur and some Knights were holding off a band of Morgana's men. Once they had finished the poor excuse for soldiers off, Arthur twirled around and shot him an angered look.

"Merlin!" He marched closer. "Where have you been? I had to get another servant to do your job! Out with it! What's your excuse this time?" Emrys didn't reply but gazed at Arthur deeply. Arthur's eyes ventured down and he pointed at the weapon in Emrys's hand. "Is that my sword? You took it?" Arthur huffed and extended his hand. "Give it to me before you hurt yourself, and go help Gaius with the wounded."

Emrys couldn't hold back a chuckle as he looked down at the sword. Fire erupted and the vibrant colors painted the silver of his blade. "I guarantee you Gaius is not tending to any wound but his own at the moment." Arthur's hand slightly wavered. "As for the sword ..." He looked back up at Arthur. "I believe it belongs to me. I am the one who placed it in the stone in the first place."

Arthur continued to stare at him. "Don't be ridiculous. That was just a ledge that I'm glad happened to be true." He took another step to grab the blade, but Emrys quickly raised his sword with the tip pointed at Arthur's breastplate. "Merlin, what are you doing?"

"Finally fulfilling my destiny," Emrys said gleefully, a smile spreading from ear to ear as he grasped the hilt in both hands. "I've waited for this moment for a very long time."

Arthur could only stare in awe and confusion as he twirled his sword in his hand prepping himself. "Merlin, you do know this is treason, right?"

Emrys raised the blade, his elbows drawn back and the tip pointed at the ceiling. He shrugged. "You'd be surprised at what I can do."

Before Arthur could say another word, the two Knights at his side charged towards Emrys with their swords raised in a strike position. Smirking, Emrys ducked under one sword and swung Excalibur into the Knights abdomen. From his crouch, he swept his foot under the other Knights feet and knocked the man to the ground. He then jumped back up and plunged his sword into the Knights heart with a twist.

Twirling back around, the shock on Arthur's face was priceless. Raising his sword a little higher, Arthur now looked like he would take Emrys a little more seriously. "Merlin ..." He took a couple steps back as Emrys advanced. "I don't want to hurt you."

Emrys snorted. "I think you should be more worried about yourself right now." With a quick spin, he swung his sword down on Arthur, but Arthur swiftly blocked the blow with his sword raised above his head. Using his strength, Emrys tried to force his blade down, but despite his efforts, Arthur was just the stronger man.

Arthur reared back his foot and slammed his boot into Emrys's ribcage. Emrys stumbled back, his hand pressing against his side with a grimace. With his eyes closed, he gave a low laugh before looking back up at Arthur, steading himself for another charge.

"What happened, Merlin?" Arthur asked, lowering his blade a few inches. "Is Morgana making you do this?" He glanced outside as another burst of fire sprang to life before back at Emrys. "Is this what she did to you all those weeks ago? Torture you until you joined her?"

Emrys snickered. "Of course you'd think that, and for a while there, Merlin started thinking the same thing." Arthur's brow furrowed deeper. "But Morgana didn't do anything to me. I was the one who told her to."