XVIII

SLOWLY OPENING HIS EYES, Emrys felt a pair of two burley hands around each bicep. His vision swam as he tried desperately to move his head from side to side but found it impossible. In one swift move, he felt the hands throw him to the ground. He rolled to a stop and let his eyes flutter as he tried figuring out what had happened.

Panting, he glanced around. It was hard to tell with his vision zooming in and out, but he could tell that he was lying on a hard, cold stony ground. The loud squeaks sounded like those from a door, and Emrys could immediately recognize where he was. A prison cell. Everything in his head told him to get up and burst the cell door wide open, but his body wouldn't move, and his head pounded like someone was taking a sledge hammer to it.

"Let him rot," came Arthur's voice. Which encouraged him to open his eyes wider. He stared at the cell door and met Arthur's piercing gaze. "If we're lucky, the dragon will cause a cave in on the prison." He turned to leave, but stopped.

"Arthur!"

"Gaius? What are you doing down here?"

Emrys moved his gaze from Arthur to the other person who entered his line of vision. The old man who Merlin cared deeply about. So, he had survived the trauma to his head.

"A few of the Knights saw you dragging Merlin down here." Gaius patted a bleeding spot on his head with a cloth. "Arthur, you're making a mistake."

"Did you know about this?" Arthur jabbed a finger at Emrys. "Did you know that Merlin was a sorcerer?"

Gaius turned his attention towards Emrys in the cell and slowly placed his hands around the bar. Emrys could see his cold stare very clearly. Releasing the bars, he turned back to face Arthur. "Sire, he isn't Merlin. Merlin needs our help."

Arthur crossed his arms. "Our help?" He let out an annoyed laugh. "He just tried to kill me, Gaius!"

"But he isn't Merlin!" Gaius shouted. "Not right now."

Arthur snorted, thrusting his hands on his hips. "No, he's Emrys. He told me that. But ... I still don't understand it."

"And you don't believe him?" Gaius asked, skeptically.

"How can I?" Arthur yelled back, though his tone didn't sound angry. It sounded broken. He flung a hand towards Emrys. "He's wearing Merlin's face."

Gaius lowered his voice. "Arthur, you have to trust me. Have you ever known Merlin to hurt you in any way?" Arthur glanced between Gaius and the ground. "Merlin has done nothing but help you since the day he arrived in Camelot. Please." He paused and his voice grew even softer. "Merlin needs our help."

Arthur let out a long sigh and eyed Emrys. "As much as I don't want to agree, I do. I've known Merlin long enough to know that this isn't him." He looked back at Gaius. "What do we need to do? Is there a way to expel Emrys from Merlin's body?"

Gaius's shoulders dropped. "I wish it was that simple," he answered.

The ground beneath Emrys began to shake violently and particles rained down from the ceiling as it cracked. Finding the strength he needed, he rolled himself onto his side and covered his head with his hand to protect himself from the small pieces that broke off as they battered his body.

"We have to get him out of there," Gaius said, hurriedly, "before Merlin gets hurt."

Grabbing the keys from the Knights hand who stood behind him, Arthur quickly unlocked the cell door and ran inside, all while the ceiling continued to crumble. He grabbed Emrys by the arms and hoisted him over his shoulder.

"Let go of me!" Emrys wanted to shout, but it came out weak. He didn't even feel like he could force himself off Arthur's shoulder. He summoned the use of his magic but found that his power, too, was drained. He was utterly useless.