𝟎𝟖

"Oh, look who decided to show up? The fucking garter," Talon greets with a sour tone

He interrupted my workout with one of his moods that I've become accustomed to. He's had thousands of moods in the years that I've known him, so I don't lose a breath over this one. I start back with my reps, after turning my music down a little to hear his many more complaints.

"Where the fuck you been, man?" he continues.

"I've been here," I answer, nonchalantly, not giving him my full attention. I don't even know what he's upset about. For all I know, he could be upset because I haven't got him food recently.

"No, you haven't, cause if you were here then you would've saw the boss!" he continues, genuinely upset. "He was looking for you and when he couldn't find you...let's say he wasn't too happy."

I stop working out at those words before sitting up, sweat dripping ferociously down my abdomen. Talon seems satisfied at fully getting my attention, but the look is gone as quick as it came. His expression is hard and shows no signs of giving way.

"What'd he want?" I ask, breaking the cruel silence.

I stand up from the bench, instead moving around to put away the items I brung out and my shirt that got taken off in the process.

Talon is undeniably pissed, and my acting careless isn't making the sour mood any better- I know that. But I don't give too many fucks about what the "big man" wanted and why he was here. He can kiss my ass and kill himself. Everyone in our line of business knows that I don't fear the man like they do. I don't listen to his every command, blindly. I ask questions, and if his reasons are shit then I'll tell him that. It's a wonder that he hasn't tried to put me six feet deep in the ground.

I look back to Talon who has his arms crossed and a rigid stance to match.

"Well?"

"A job. Some big move that could've got us a lot of money and a raise on our status. You know not too many people know or care about us."

My look becomes a stare as I try to figure out my friend. He doesn't care about status- and it's the same for me. We despise people who do weird shit to climb up the social ladder. We humble them, but never do we envy them.

"Who sucked you wrong?" I ask, my tone monotonous. Despite the tone, I'm genuinely curious and a little worried about what's wrong with him. Yes, Talon has had his various moods, but he's rarely so pissed at me.

My question gets left unanswered. Talon turns around without a word and walks away in silence. I drop the weights that I picked up, and follow after him while simultaneously trying to put on my shirt. He's halfway out of the door when I see him. Calling out to him was useless as he glares at me and leaves. After that, I stop trying to follow him. There's no need for me to get a bullet in my shoulder because I couldn't leave him alone.