𝟏𝟑

Disgust

Disgust.

That's what runs through me as I sit through a debrief of a deadbeat case with a deadbeat client. A nobody that potentially abuses his wife, and is sitting in my face feeling smug about it. His representative drones along about facts that aren't reaching me, and I glance at James who looks like he could kill. If it's one thing we don't tolerate, it's men putting their damn hands on women.

I stare into the eyes of the man who expects me to create him a deal. A smirk rests easy on his face, and I don't miss the way his eyes travel to the slight opening of my blouse. James abruptly coughs, gaining our attention, and he beckons me over. I keep my stare for another minute before getting up to stand next to James.

"Are you going to represent him?"

"No."

"So, why are we still listening to this case?" he exasperates, raising his voice as he talks.

My eyes harden at the tone of his voice, causing him to straighten up. "Lower your voice, and watch your tone when you talk to me. I know how to handle this, so sit down and do it quietly."

I've handled more cases like this before James even appeared, and I don't appreciate when I'm questioned. He is my friend, but he should know that I would never represent a man like that. I plan on putting him in his place, and in Jail while I'm at it. James sit down with a huff, and I give him a look before turning around with a calm smile. The representative looks relieved and offers for me to sit down.

I take my original seat in front of my wanted client, and return the stare that he was offering. I tune out everything his representative began to say, only one thing on my mind. He won't leave my office feeling satisfied, and he won't go the day without being put in handcuffs. I'll make sure of that. His eyes wavers down to my chest, studying the opening as if it's putting him in a trance.

I lean forward as his representative finishes up his presentation, a satisfied smile gracing his lips.

"Will you take him? I can schedule a court date for next month, and that'll give you enough time to build a case against his wife."

"Can I speak with...?"

"Dylan," the man says, grinning at the fact that I asked.

"Dylan," I repeat, "can I speak with him alone?"

The representative takes that as a positive sign, and packs up his briefcase before offering to get coffee with James. He looks as if he'd rather die than go, but he plasters a kind smile on his face as he leads the way. My door clicks closed, letting silence envelope my office. I listen for a second longer, and hear their footsteps trail down the hall. I'm sure Dylan's representative wouldn't want to hear what I have to say, so I'll spare him.

I stand up, ignoring Dylan's presence completely as I fix myself a cup of tea. Courtesy of Alisha who gifted the maker to me.

"You wanted to be in here with me to fix a drink? C'mon sweetheart, let's stop the games."