Playing to Win

Continues right from the last chapter. Enjoy!!

MAHEEN

Naina must have had a lot of fun planning the next game. When her husband's cousin announced the rules, I couldn't help but giggle with the rest of the other agents in the room.

The event staff handed out envelopes with what our roles would be along with a little arrow pin. We could "kill" other people in the game by tapping them on the shoulder with a dandiya stick and stealing their pins. The person with the most pins at the end of the game would win. Certain people got special rose pins who couldn't be killed and instead would get all your pins, so you'd have to be careful not to go after them. Basically it was hide and seek, tag, and mafia all rolled into one.

My eyes met Naina's and she winked. I mouthed "you did this," to her and she nodded gleefully.

"You have 20 minutes again. Go!" the emcee announced and people ran in every direction, chasing each other. I heard some old ladies complain about stupid, wild kids and I stealthily scurried past them towards the edge of the room.

I wanted to find the rose pinned people but how...

Naina's voice rang in my ears. The results are in the small details.

I scanned the room. Most of the people between the ages of 13 and 30 were playing, running around the room. A few people stood and talked with the elders who were not playing.

Hasan was standing with his back to me, talking to Armaan's brother and someone else. He had an envelope in his hand though so he was definitely part of the game.

He must have a rose pin. Of course Naina would make sure he got one. How to get it from him though...

I text him. Can you come to the foyer? I need your help.

I leave the main room, waiting for him in a corner away from the doors. He walks out a few minutes later, looking around for me presumably. I try to sneak up behind him but I forgot about my noisy payal.

He whips around, eyes following my outstretched dandiya stick a few inches from his arm.

"I know you have a rose pin," I point the stick towards him accusatorily.

"Then why would you try to tap me out when you know it's against the rules?" he smirks.

"Didn't want to risk it," I shrug. "Hand it over," I gesture.

"Hand it over?" he scoffs. "And why would I do that, pray tell?" he cross his arms across his chest. I avert my eyes from his arms, flexing in his tight sleeves.

Lord forgive me and my wandering gaze.

"You made us lose the last game. You owe me," I bargain.

"I owe you nothing. In fact, you should start running before I tap you," he points his dandiya stick towards me, mimicking my pose.

We both stand still. A slow Bollywood song plays from the hall behind me, culminating to the chorus with his threat. He's loving this. And he knows just as well as I do that he could outrun me by a mile if he tried.

"Come on Hasan, you're a nice guy, give me your pin?" I plead.

"How about I take your pin instead and win fair and square?"

"I'm starting to think you don't even have a rose pin. You're probably a regular plebian like the rest of us," my eyes narrow, trying to make out the pin's shape inside the envelope.