Ten Years

This will be the last flashback chapter. Let's find out what went down between these two...

10 YEARS AGO

I recognized I was picking at my food but I had no appetite. Another day, another screaming match between my parents. Today's topic was my brother's decision to move to the US for school and why my father thought it was unreasonable for him to want to live a little instead of taking on all the responsibilities of the family at 18.

What my dad did not realize was that the more he forced my brother into this mould of a perfect son, the more Rayyan wanted to run far, far away.

I ditched my plate of food and left the house, texting Hasan to meet me at the park. I reached before he did of course, claiming a spot on our usual swing set.

Hasan reached about 15 minutes later, sitting down on the swing beside me and silently handing me a single Ferrero Rocher. I took it gratefully.

"You okay?" he asked after another minute.

I sighed, nodding unconvincingly. "You know Hasan, if you weren't around, I feel like I would've jumped off a cliff by now. I don't know how to deal with this anger in me sometimes."

"I think you're doing okay all things considered," he offered nicely.

"Of course you do. You literally never get mad about anything," I huffed.

"I do get mad," he chuckles.

"Really? At what?"

"I get frustrated plenty," he shrugs, avoiding my question.

"Give me one example," I nag him further.

"I get annoyed all the time Maheen. Like when people don't listen to me, when people ignore my preferences, when they make assumptions of what I'm like..." he trails off.

"Like I'm doing right now," I smile sheepishly.

"When you do it, it doesn't make me so mad," he looks at me timidly.

I look up, staring at the clouds and the birds instead of at his eyes that make me forget everything that is wrong with this world.

But of course, I can't keep silent for long. "Hasan, where do you see yourself in 10 years?" I leaned my head on the chain of the swing, watching him wistfully.

"Why do you ask?"

"Just answer the question," I give his shoulder a shove.

"Okay fine," he digs his ankles into the ground, stopping his swinging. "I think in ten years I want to have a job, and maybe my own place, and I want to get my own car-"

"Oh come on Hasan, these are such generic answers. What do you really want to be doing in 10 years?"

He takes his time to think. "Alright, here goes... In ten years, I'll be 27-"

"Great maths," I mumble.

He rolls his eyes at my jib and continues. "I want to be in Italy on vacation, hopefully with a family of my own."

My heart melts at his confession. "Hassyyyy," I coo. "That's cute, but you're going to get so fat eating all that pasta."

"Okay answer the question too," he demands.

"Honestly, I don't know. I haven't thought that far. But a family in Italy sounds like exactly what I want."

"You know Mahee," Hasan starts, a small smile playing on his face. It makes me smile too. He looks...cute. "It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it were you and me in Ita-"