Chapter 1: THE PROPOSAL

I could feel the tension during that time. Everything was busy in a vast garden at a private rest house owned by my close friend, Omar. All was in order, and the various colorful lights added extra beauty to the garden. Different colorful flowers adorned the surroundings, emitting an unusual fragrance and a romantic ambiance. In the middle of the garden, there was a small yet beautiful table covered in red and white satin cloth, with two chairs for the two special people who were about to come together in the name of love. Beside the table were our senior high school student musicians who had been practicing their music for a while now.

Everyone was prepared, eagerly waiting for my signal to start the occasion. The food and remarkable drinks prepared by my siblings in the kitchen were ready, and they were excited to see the woman who would become a part of our family. Well, Sam has been a part of our family for a long time. She's often at our house after work, chatting amicably with my mother and some of my siblings. Mom likes her, and my siblings adore her, so they are the ones who often encourage me to propose to her. Now, I've fulfilled their request because this is the night I've been planning for a long time, the night I'll ask her to marry me. I know this night will be memorable, not only for Sam and me but also for those who will witness the beginning of our own family.

I'm excited about the little program I prepared for my beloved Sam. I can't stay still; I'm going in and out of the comfort room. I can't explain the mixture of joy, excitement, and nervousness I'm feeling, something I didn't expect even though I've known her for a long time. My mother approached me now and then to ask if I was okay, as I seemed about to faint due to nervousness and excitement. Mixed emotions, as they say. But all of that fades away whenever I see my family, who are fully supporting me in one of the most critical moments of my life. They all love my future wife; the only woman I love and will love for life.

Our students who volunteered to help with the occasion were being organized by my best friend, practically like a brother, Omar Sevilla, to spell out the words: SAM, WILL YOU MARRY ME? They're my advisory class in the school where I teach senior high school, a group I can say is close to me and Omar.

I'm still going in and out of the comfort room due to excessive nervousness. There seems to be no end to fixing my suit, adjusting my tie, and making sure my shirt buttons are aligned properly. Sometimes, I find myself talking to myself in front of the mirror like I've gone crazy. Often, I'm staring at my cell phone to see if she has texted, wondering if she's close to the venue. If I can't find a text message from her, that's when I call her to ask where she is.

Oh, by the way, the woman I'm referring to, who I'm about to offer my love, commitment, and my life, is Samantha Mercado. I've been calling her Sam ever since I met her and my heart was captivated. We've been in a relationship for four years, and we know each other well. Intelligent, kind, with lofty dreams, that's how I would describe her. She's also a strong and independent woman, career-oriented and business-minded. But she always makes time for me, so I consider myself lucky to have her as my girlfriend.

We met in college; we both took the same teaching course, along with my best friend, Omar. Samantha only took the teaching course because it was her mother's wish. Being the obedient and kind daughter she is, she followed her mother's wishes.

I saw how Samantha endured the difficulty of taking a course she didn't like, so I decided to support her as much as I could. After graduation, she never applied to schools to teach. Instead, she got a job in a call center in Makati, where she was quickly promoted from a Team Leader to a Supervisor. We've been through a lot in our relationship, things that are normal in any relationship. We've overcome them all, and our love for each other has grown stronger. She's my life and the reason I'm happy and continue to live in this world. (Yeah, I know, I'm cheesy. They say that when a person is in love, they know all the cheesiness to say and do, so please bear with me for now.) Well, as I was saying, I love Sam, so here I am in this place, ready to propose marriage to her. I won't let her go because I want to be with her for life.