✨2✨

Pov Samira

It was raining, and I looked at the sky with boredom. I was about to land. It had been six years since I'd set foot on my native soil, Islamabab. I was back for good, I had graduated and had worked for a short time as a lawyer in New Zealand, I was planning to open my own practice in Pakistan and had already made the necessary arrangements.

"You look sad", the lady next to me asked me kindly.

"It's nothing, just tired," I reassured her.

I smiled at her, I didn't really want to go back but I couldn't let my family go through this alone.

My sister's death, I wasn't close to Sonia but I never thought she'd go so suddenly, her accident was fatal.

I still remember the sobbing call I got from my mother.

"She's dead, she's dead"
"Who Ammi?"
"Sonia, your didi is dead, a drunk driver killed her".
"Ammi, no that's impossible, didi can't be.... "
"Samira come back, please, your father and I, we lost our first daughter, we don't want to stay away from you, please come back"
"Ammi, don't cry, I'll stay with you"

It took longer than expected because of the epidemic but here I am, 5 months later, heading for my capital. I finally landed and collected my luggage.

I gave my address to the taxi man, and he finally arrived at my house. I couldn't help but feel nostalgic when I smelt that childhood scent, I was home.

I drifted upstairs and recognised my mother lying on the bed, her face exhausted, asleep, I smiled sadly and caressed her face.

"Ammi?" I called softly.

She opened her eyes and looked at me for a long moment before her eyes moistened. She took me in her arms and hugged me tightly.

"You're here at last!" she said in a broken voice.

"I'm sorry I'm late, Ammi," I said guiltily.

I don't know how many nights, my mother must have cried thinking about my sister's absence with my father, and I felt so bad knowing that I wasn't there in those moments.

"Abu, where is he?" I asked her.

"At work, he'll be back soon, come on, I'll cook your favourite dishes for you" she said with a slight smile.

I left to shower and change my clothes, my room hadn't changed a bit, everything was the same, for some reason I didn't know, my heart urged me to go to my big sister's room, her things hadn't changed either, I rummaged through her wardrobe and found the famous red t-shirt. I remembered how we'd fought over it and in the end she got it because it wasn't my size.

I laughed to myself as I suddenly felt my cheeks moisten.

"Allah, she was horrible to me, but forgive her," I said.

I missed her, the house was empty, and the atmosphere wasn't the same, suddenly I felt arms around me.

"Abu" I said as I felt her hand rest on my head.

"Don't cry, we can't get back what we've lost, but you're here" he said, reassuring me.

I stayed in his arms for a long time, crying until I calmed down. We left to join my mother when I recognised my sister's family-in-law sitting on the table.
"Assalam alaikum" I greeted them with a smile as they replied

"Are you back Samira?" asked Ms Farooqi.

"Yes, I plan to stay with my parents" I said.

She smiled at my words. "You're doing the right thing, your parents need you to get through this ordeal" she said sadly.