✨3✨

Pov Esan

As planned, I had gone to pick up my son, and I had taken the opportunity to go to the company beforehand to finalise one last important contract.

"Assalam Alaikkum" I said politely as Mrs Ghulam opened the door for me.

She gives me a broad smile and lets me in. She must know why I'm here. I arrived in the kitchen and noticed Samira shimmying to the music. An amused smile came to my lips.

"I'll tell you a secret Rizwan, if you want to make good food, there's nothing better than doing it with a happy heart" she said.

My son replied in a language that only he knows how to understand.

"I know, your khala is a genius, don't flatter me too much" she said sarcastically, flicking one of his locks of hair.

Well, apparently Samira also knew how to speak baby talk, so she should teach me her secret for progressing so quickly.

She came forward with her plate of pancakes when she dropped one on the floor, picked it up quickly and looked at my son.

"Don't look at me like that, there's a 3-second rule on the floor, I can still eat it" she said convincingly.

I held back my laughter, she'd actually just eaten the pancake she'd dropped on the floor, very different from Sonia, who literally wastes everything.

"I know you want some, my angel, I'll make you plenty when you're a bit bigger and have teeth," she promised him.

My son fidgeted as if he understood her promise, and she placed a kiss on his forehead before getting up to fetch herself a glass of water.

Samira met my gaze and her eyes opened wide, probably wondering how long I'd been there.

"The pancakes were good, I hope?" I joked, taking my son in my arms.

"Esan... No... I'm... Am... F. You... It's... Not dirty" she starts to stammer as she moves backwards

I wanted to tell her I was joking but a cry of pain from her worried me, so I put my son back in his trance.

Samira was holding her hand, looking painfully at her burner. I took it in my hand to look at it properly.

"How did you do that?" I asked her more forcefully than I meant to.

She seemed to be thrown by the tone of my voice and answered with a trembling voice.

"I... Put... My hands... Unintentionally on... The hot plate" she said like a repressed child.

I sighed, she could have been more careful, imagining if she'd had Rizwan in her hands as well. I looked at her wound, her palm was burning slightly. She pulled her hand away from mine, embarrassed, except that it needed to be treated.

"I'll be back," I warned her.

I came back five minutes later, with the first-aid kit, took her hand in mine and opened the ointment to apply it.

"It's going to be a bit uncomfortable," I warned her.

I started to apply it to her hand and her other hand held me close, I said nothing, I knew she was in pain, my son must have been worried with the change in atmosphere.

"It's nothing, Rizwan, your khala is just clumsy," she said, laughing, before falling silent, surely feeling the pain coming on.

Even at times like this, she managed to think of my son, and I smiled appreciatively.

"It's over" I said, but I was still holding her hand when she tried to take it away.

"Samira, I'm not joking, avoid hurting yourself again here, scar properly, I don't want to see you doing anything foolish" I warned her sternly.