Chapter 1

Darkkit breathed in the smell of lavender from his mother.

The smell was nice, but it wasn't pleasant when Bettlekit ran over him, running away from firekit.

"Bettlekit, apologize to darkkit immediately," beetlekit was darkkit's litttermate, but she acted like he wasn't her brother.

Instead, she hung out more with firekit.

"I'm sorry, darkkit, but I want to spend time with firekit before she becomes an apprentice, and Poppywing is going to have her kits soon, so best spend time with your best friend before you make new ones".

What bettlekit said made no sense, but Cloudfur was nudging darkkit towards his brother.

Raccoonkit was watching Blackpelt getting ready for patrol.

"Oh hey, darkkit father is about to leave, and I wanted to say bye."

Darkkit was looking for the cat Raccoonkit said was their father.

Instead, he saw spiderpaw dragging mousepaw from the apprentice den.

"Spiderpaw, let me sleep more. The prey isn't going anywhere. "

spiderpaw was a slim grey tom with leafy green eyes. His sister mousepaw looked nothing like him, but they were born together.

"Well, mousepaw bonefur was talking to Lionstar about changing your name to lazypaw. "

Mousepaw was still sleeping when she walked towards bonefur for her task.

"Hey, blackpelt, isn't that your kit?".

A hard, icy stare made darkkit freeze in his tracks. "Yes, that furball is my kit. Now Chippedclaw go get some prey for Poppywing. Lionstar wants his mate to feel ok for his kits. "

The red tabby nodded towards the tom and stalked away.

"Darkkit, do you think Father is a good warrior?".

Darkkit was shocked with Raccoonkit's doubt towards their own father.

"Well, of course he's a good warrior. Why would you doubt him?".

Raccoonkit gave him a cold stare that made Darkkit shiver.

"Well, I overheard Hazelflower talking with Nutfur about how Father wasn't deputy since he had kits."

Darkkit was confused, but someone ran right into him.

"Sorry, darkkit, but beetlekit was chasing me."

Darkkit felt his blood run cold when he saw how big firekit was. Darkkit asked the most dumbest question to ever exist.

"Are you a kit or an apprentice?."

Beetlekit was laughing while Raccoonkit was trying to conceal beetlekit.

"I am a kit, but I'm going to be an apprentice soon. I hope Hazelflower is going to be my mentor."

Darkkit was looking lost.

"But Hazelflower is mentoring darkpaw. So you can't have her."

Firekit started to groom herself.

"I guess, but maybe Chippedclaw will be my mentor."

Darkkit listened to firekit while he listened to others.

"I hear toadpool is supposed to meet the other medicine cats tonight."

Darkkit had many questions like who was toadpool? What is a medicine cat? Who is nutfur?.

"anyways darkkit, you should be getting back to your mother."

Darkkit looked at firekit eyes full of disbelief.