chapter 3

"Lemurkit, don't you dare wake up darkkit."

Every kit was taking their nap, but darkkit enjoys nap time.

"But Hazelflower is going to kit soon, and I want him to be awake so he won't get mad when she wakes him up."

Hazelflower was sleeping, but her swollen belly told everyone she was going to kit soon.

Firepaw had blackpelt as her mentor since Hazelflower can't train her now.

"Darkkit, wake up. Shrewleaf is bringing a squirrel, and the elders are going to tell a story."

Darkkit got up immediately since the squirrel was his favorite piece of fresh kill.

Every kit was gathered around the squirrel trying to get a piece, but darkkit managed to get a morsel of it.

Darkkit took his piece to the elders and listened to the story they had to share.

"Redstar was running to protect lionpaw, but the dog was close. Redstar was the smartest leader ShadowClan had, so he told lionpaw to lead the dog to him. The dog followed lionpaw, and Redstar told lionpaw to run up a tree so the dog could follow him. Redstar remembered the fox trap nearby, so he led the dog towards the trap. The mangy thing fell into the trap, but before it died, it killed young brakenpaw when he went to check on redstar."

Darkkit heard of the great raid.

Brakenpaw was said to become brakenfang after the battle but didn't survive.

Luckily, lionpaw, who is now Lionstar, survived.

"Vineflight, can you tell me about tigerstar's story?"

The elder looked at the darkkit with surprise since no one dared to talk about him

"Are you sure you want to hear about him? You know he was an awful cat."

Darkkit loved learning about the cats from the past, but he loved the cats who were hated for their crimes

"Of course I want to know about him. Tigerstar was the leader before."

Nutfur nudged Vineflight, telling him he could tell the story now.

" tigerstar was born in ThunderClan with his sisters' mistkit and Nightkit. All three kits were born earlier, so Nightkit and mistkit both died, but tigerstar survived. His father pinestar left the clan to become a kittypet. Tigerstar was then given to thistleclaw as an apprentice and grew up to be a fine warrior. But during a battle with riverclan over Sunning rocks, oakheart was killed. Redtail the deputy at the time was killed by tigerstar in hopes of becoming deputy. But lionheart became deputy instead. So, during an attack led by brokenstar, lionheart was killed, making tigerstar the new deputy. Tigerstar attempted to kill bluestar to become leader, but a warrior called fireheart came and stopped him."

Darkkit listened with curiosity, but it all ended when toadpool called nutfur.

"Nutfur, we need to talk to you."

Nutfur hulled herself from her nest and trotted towards toadpool.

Darkkit was curious about it, so he followed them out of camp, trying to hide himself as best as he could. All he could say was he was thankful for his father's black fur.

"Nutfur, you talked with starclan a lot . Can you tell me what this message means?."

Nutfur nodded that she would help but stiffened at the message.

"A warrior as cold as leafbare and is dark like the night will bring unessery deaths as they walk the ShadowClan path."

Nutfur stared at her paws, then she twitched his ears, signaling she smelled darkkit.

"Darkkit, return to your mother immediately. I may be old, but I'm not blind."

Darkkit revealed himself only to see toadpool with a sparkle of shock in his eyes.

"But I want to know about this message."

Darkkit was so curious, but knowing nutfur, she would drag him to camp by the tail.

"Fine, I'll go, but I won't say anything."

Nutfur flicked her tail to tell Darkkit he was dismissed, but darkkit didn't return. He hid somewhere else to see.

"Blackpelt is what the message describes, but he's not that cold."

The two cats were silent until toadpool spoke up

"I don't think it's about Blackpelt."

Nutfur looked at toadpool with curiosity

"It may be about one of his kits."

Darkkit thought of his littermates, but beetlekit may be it since she has a black coat.

"Let's get back to the clan. we could use a bit of help from Cloudfur."

Darkkit started to run back to the nursery so he wouldn't get in trouble.

"Cloudfur, can you tell me about the old territories?."

Cloudfur looked at darkkit with a cold, icy stare.

"Not now go play with your littermates or something."

Darkkit looked at his mother with horror as she walked away to talk with Hazelflower

Blackpelt, who was near the area, walked over to darkkit

"Your mother is giving up on you. The path you walk on is one where no one can intifure, so trust your instinct and let your mother abandon you."

Darkkit was on the verge of running away from the clan, but something kept him there

"Walk the path that bloodstream followed. Let her guide you as the ShadowClan warriors fall under the leader ship of Lionstar."

Darkkit stood up and stared at blackpelt with a gaze a true warrior could use.

"My mother abandoned me for reasons, but you just want me to experience the pain you felt."

Blackpelt looked at darkkit with horror and anger in his eyes.

"That stare. Where did you learn it?."

Darkkit didn't want to reveal bloodstream just, yet he did have to come up with a lie.

" What makes you think I'll tell a cat like you?."

Blackpelt looked at darkkit with disgust in his eyes.

"I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I am disappointed that you're my kit."

Darkkit looked at blackpelt with despair in his eyes

"Wait, didn't mean that."

But all Darkkit was saying were just pitiful mews to blackpelt as he stalked off towards Firepaw.

Beetlekit and Raccoonkit were both there when they saw the cat they trusted say that.

"Darkkit, I'm so sorry blackpelt said that he doesn't deserve you as his son."

Beetlekit truly cared about Darkkit, but her comforting mews couldn't solve the hurt growing inside him