chapter 10

Beetlepaw groomed darkpaw as maplenose gave him herbs. Darkpaw got greencough and is struggling to move. Cloudfur would've stayed by his side, but she was gone.

"Darkpaw, eat the herbs. You're not gonna get better if you keep refusing to eat them." Darkpaw hated the herbs, but he loved the cat mint.

Darkpaw looked at Raccoonpaw, who offered to stay with plea. Darkpaw wanted prey, but he couldn't have any since he just threw up a bile.

"Honestly, Darkpaw petalkit ate the herbs, and she's just a kit." Applepaw said with amusement. Frostpaw was eating prey in the den with woodpaw.

"Applepaw Darkpaw is sick. You're lucky you don't have it, so show some sympathy." Frostpaw's mew was stern. Applepaw unsheathed his claws and then left muttering.

Woodpaw curled her tail over her paws. "Frostpaw, that was exactly the right thing to do." Frostpaw shined with pride, then looked at darkpaw.

"Let us hope starclan doesn't take you too soon." Frostpaw spoke like a true warrior. Darkpaw shivered and sniffed. Bettlepaw left and came back with some wet moss.

Beetlepaw put the moss by his muzzle, and darkpaw licked the ball but coughed. Darkpaw felt his eyes closed and opened them to see stars.

He looked around until he saw a familiar pelt. Cloudfur! "Hello, my strong kit." Darkpaw ran up to her and nuzzled her. Cloudfur licked him. "It's not your time yet, darkpaw. You still have moons before you join me. Remember, I'll always watch you and your littermates.

Darkpaw looked at Cloudfur upset and opened his eyes to see he was back in his nest with a frog and some moss nearby. Maplenose was nearby.

Maplenose looked up from what she was doing to look at darkpaw. "You're awake. Applepaw came to me screeching that you went with starclan. You passed out from the sickness."

Darkpaw lapped at the moss and tried to eat some of the frog. Maplenose sat by darkpaw and touched his head with her tail. "You're a strong apprentice to survive something this bad. Starclan might've had a path set for you to give you strength to fight this."

Darkpaw remembered Cloudfur as she returned him back to the clan. He didn't want to come back. He could've stayed with Cloudfur and maybe have seen redkit and toadpool.

Darkpaw closed his eyes and opened them when he saw petalkit with a runny nose in the nest next to him. Darkpaw went closer to petalkit to warm her up as she was shivering.

Darkpaw woke up with Vineflight next to him and looked as petalkit layed motionless. Darkpaw got up and grabbed petalkit by the scruff. He padded to the nursery with the strength he had left.

Hazelflower already lost her son she must know her daughter lost the battle to greencough. Darkpaw went into the nursery to see wolfkit and Lemurkit missing.

Darkpaw felt something was wrong and left petalkit next to Hazelflower as she slept next to icekit peacefully. Darkpaw tasted the air and smelled an unfamiliar scent.

He went to the entrance and smelled bonefur with Lemurkit and wolfkit. He padded off and followed bonefur's scent. He spotted an unfamiliar cat with bonefur when he found him.

"You told me that Hazelflower would provide for my kits. But she already hers. Wolf and Lemur are going to stay with me." Darkpaw peered from the bush to see a Rouge with Lemurkit and wolfkit.

Lemurkit was under bonefur freezing while wolfkit stood against the cold breeze. Bonefur stared at the Rouge. "Everest the clan is desperate. Hazelflower is taking care of them."

Everest shook the snow out of her fur. "My kits may be half siblings with that clan cat's kits, but if she can barely keep hers alive, what makes you think I'm trusting her?"

Darkpaw stepped closer to see Lemurkit and wolfkit, both confused. He had to get them back to camp before they freeze. Darkpaw whispered a small squeak for the two kits.

Lemurkit looked at Darkpaw and nudged wolfkit. Both kits looked at darkpaw and looked back at their parents before walking towards Darkpaw.

Once both kits were near Darkpaw, he lowered himself, so both kits got onto his back. Everest and bonefur both still argued. Darkpaw quickly padded back to the camp with both kits.

Once Darkpaw entered the nursery, he collapsed due to the sickness. He woke up in the dark forest to see daydream and bloodstream, both showing moves to Deerpaw.

Darkpaw sat next to Deerpaw and lay on Deerpaw for support. "Hey Darkpaw, are you ok? You're burning up." Darkpaw quickly looked around Deerpaw with sorrow.

Deerpaw noticed and called for daydream. "Darkpaw has greencough." Daydream grabbed darkpaw and layed him next to her as she soothed him.

Darkpaw looked at daydream and saw a motherly stare come from her. Darkpaw shivered. Daydream got up and left. "I'll go warn that medicine cat about this." Darkpaw looked at Deerpaw as the dark forest warriors left.

"Something about daydream reminds me about my mother." Deerpaw looked at darkpaw and sat beside him in a crouch.

"You see, Darkpaw, before daydream died, she had kits. But starclan took them away from her. So, she shows some sympathy for apprentices and kits."

Darkpaw nodded and woke up to see blackpelt. "So you managed to survive." Darkpaw saw his littermates both run towards him. Both of them are full of joy.

Raccoonpaw nuzzled Darkpaw while Beetlepaw licked his head over and over again. He wanted the motherly love that daydream had.

He got up and saw he was a bit better. Beetlepaw quickly spoke up. "Both petalkit and Vineflight died. The greencough was too much for them."

Darkpaw watched from the entrance of the den to see Hazelflower mourning with icekit. Darkpaw looked at blackpelt and saw the grief.

Darkpaw didn't want any more cats to die. He quickly ran out the den and out the camp with Beetlepaw and Raccoonpaw close behind.

Darkpaw stopped in front of the border with the twolegs. "I know where to find catmint."