十五

≿————- ❈ ————-≾

≿————- ❈ ————-≾

"That's a weird horse," the car abruptly came to a stop as a creature stared back at them, blocking the path, "What's it looking at me for?" Trevour wondered before the creature turned away, uninterested. While moving away, a few more followed and Shang couldn't help but stare as they calmly walked away.

The car followed a clearing in the bamboo forest as they slowly ventured towards the village. Nearing the lake, Diana could see everybody gathering up, armed with weapons and fierce stares. The mighty mountains caught her eyes as she stared beyond the lake. Past the comfort of the shoreline stood her destiny. The Dweller in Darkness locked up in the mountain and Diana realised how much of the prophecy could come true now as Shang's father had threatened the entire village - who were currently giving them harsh stares.

Despite everyone's unease, Morris cooed, happy to be home. Both Shang and Diana shared a worried glance before the two siblings stepped cautiously out of the car.

"Hi there," Shang waved awkwardly, "I am Xu Shang-Chi. This is my sister Xu Xialing. We are Ying Li's children," there was a moment of silence before Katy stepped out of the car, "This is my friend, Katy."

"Get in your car and go home," Master Guang Bo ordered, his face full of sternness.

"Please, you don't understand," Shang tried to reason, taking two steps forward. All of the warriors moved into their fighting stance. They pointed their staffs at him, holding their shields tightly. It was not his intention for a fight to break out with these warriors and Shang took a step back.

"You are not welcomed here," he dictated.

"What about me? Am I not welcomed here?" Diana walked in between the small dispute, standing calmly in front of her friends while facing her old mentor. She took a step closer and held her head up high as stares from her homeland scrutinised her.

"Dàiyù," he breathed, shock overtaking him before he regained his composure. He motioned for his warriors to stand down and they returned to their neutral position. It was then, that he bowed respectfully, shocking Diana as well as confusing her friends. The other citizens followed their elder and Diana shifted uncomfortably with the attention she was receiving. Whether it was the stares of bewilderment from her friends or the looks of shock from the villagers in front of her.

"Guang Bo! What did I say about weapons-," the woman gasped when she saw Diana," Li Dàiyù," she bowed before walking up to the girl, "I always knew you could come back," hugging Diana who immediately reciprocated the hug. Looking over Diana's shoulder, she smiled widely, "And you have brought my niece and nephew home," walking past Diana, she stood face-to-face with her family.

"Shang-Chi, Xialing, I am your aunt, Ying Nan," she hugged Xialing first, who was taken back by the sudden act of affection, "I've waited so long to meet you," she walked up to Shang, soaking up every part of him and hugging him too, "You look like your mother."

"Hi. I'm Katy," she introduced, holding her hand out for a handshake.

"Welcome to Ta-Lo, Katy," Ying Nan disregarded her hand and brought her in for a hug.

"Oh, thank you," the car door opened for the 4th time and Diana watched as Morris quickly ran up to Ying Nan, who chuckled at the sight of him.

"I'm not a threat," Trevour greeted, putting his hands up, "Just an entertainer. Morris can vouch for me."

"We don't have much time," Shang began solemnly, "Our father is coming," Ying Nan softly sighed before nodding. She led them away from the army of Ta-Lo warriors and into the village. They walked past common buildings and followed a dirt path before they reached the lake. Diana's eyes darted around. So much hadn't changed and yet everything felt different.

"Dude you never told us that you were royalty here?" Katy exclaimed as they followed Ying Nan down a path.

"Bowing out of respect doesn't mean I'm royalty," Diana retorted, rolling her eyes. Katy gave her a pointed look which Diana returned.

Ying Nan guided them through the village, explaining the history and the story of the Dark Gate and the reasoning behind their father's actions. They walked through a historical memorial, wooden carvings retelling the story that every Ta-Lo child had heard before. Diana watched the eyes of her friends mesmerised by the history Ying Nan was telling them.

The group went to the blacksmith next but Diana slipped away, hopefully unnoticed. Leaving her friends behind she walked over to a temple; a place of remembering and grieving. She smiled sadly at the portrait of her mother and slowly traced her fingers over her features. Maybe in another life, she would have been standing right next to her, coaching her through the ways of life. Maybe in another life, Diana wouldn't leave Ta-Lo because she had everything there.

"Has anyone told you that the more you grow, the more you look like her," Ying Nan stood behind her, having shown Shang and Xialing the place where their mother's memorial was kept. Candle's flickered with the wind and incense was being burnt while Diana wrapped her arms against her.

"Yes, you have," Diana smiled at the woman. Ying Nan was one of Diana's mother's closest friends. As Diana grew older, Ying Nan felt a small pull to the younger girl. They became fast friends even with their age difference and Diana couldn't lie, Ying Nan had given her everything that a mother should. Though she furrowed her brows when a thought came up.

"How is he?" Diana asked hesitantly and Ying Nan's face fell, giving Diana a sympathetic smile.

[972 words]