Chapter 36: Indoor Date.

Three years ago.

Jace's POV.

"I look like one of those guys that try too much to impress a girl," I glance down at my outfit before turning my head to look at Diego, who's spinning around in my chair and restraining from laughing at my appearance.

"You look just fine," he waves a dismissive hand.

"Why do I have to wear a suit? We're not even going out, it's an indoor date." I point out.

"Yeah but it's still a date and you kinda have to be a real gentleman tonight, you owe her that." He says.

I look at myself in the mirror again and I re-adjust my necktie.

"I know." I whisper underneath my tone.

"You know, you and I never really talked about this whole Cassandra versus Olivia thing." He says behind me.

I pause, my heart somehow aches in my chest and I look down at my shoes for some reason.

"And it shall stay that way." I speak.

"Nah," I hear his footsteps approaching,"I think we need to discuss it, Jace, we've been friends since we were in diapers and I've never seen you look so confused over anything." He puts emphasis on the word.

"Well, I probably never told you this but that TV show Dark confused the shit out of me and math confuses me all the time so..."

"I'm serious, bro." He sounds serious.

I sigh, turning around to face him.

"It wasn't my proudest moment, okay?" I speak slowly, he shakes his head at me then he places his hand on my shoulder.

"I know I was on Olivia's side the whole time but, I now realize that I never got to hear your side of the story." He says.

"My side of the story sucks, man, I don't even have a valid explanation." I force a chuckle.

"Okay then give me the sloppy one because if you don't then I'm gonna keep thinking you only liked Cass cause sandy said you couldn't have her." He bites, I give him a narrowed side look.

"Of course you think that."

"Then what am I supposed to think, Jace, she looks like that and everyone wants her and you love having what other people want." He laughs.

"It's not just about the way she looks, Diego, she's so much more than that." The words escape my mouth before I can stop them.

"Do explain it for us dummies." He smirks at my confession.

I shut my eyes, taking a deep sigh.

I smooth my gelled hair, stepping away from my best friend and feeling overwhelmed about this topic.

I stand a few feet from him, placing my hands on my hips and internally telling myself that it's okay to talk about it.

"Cass ripped herself open and she let me see all her ugly insides, I was supposed to judge her, she expected me to judge her but I looked into her eyes and I saw myself." I say honestly, "I know you and Olivia thought it had something to do with sexual chemistry or whatever but no, I didn't even think about sex, I bet that's why I didn't realize I had fallen for her." I swallow, looking elsewhere.

"Dude-"

"I know what you're gonna say, I bonded with someone over something as ridiculous as human emotion and I fucked up my relationship real bad but I'm sorry, I know Cass will never forgive me but I really am trying to make it up to Olivia." I palm my jaw frustratedly.