CAPITULUM 01

F R I D A Y

May 22, 2020
SHADOW Headquarters
7:35 a.m.

"BUT WE WERE SOMETHING don't you think so?

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool

And if my wishes came true

It would've been you---"

The pink haired detective quickly switched the song on her Spotify playlist. 'Ang aga-aga, bakit ganito ang shuffle ng mga kanta?' Matapos niyang i-check ang kanyang email sa laptop, sumulyap si Detective Briannova Carlos sa orasan.

Indeed, it was too early.

'I even got here before Olympia today.'

She leaned against her blush pink cushioned office chair and took in a deep breath, the scent of Earl Grey tea meant to calm her down. Wala pang 8:00 a.m., pero malapit na niyang makalahati ang kanyang tsaa. Matapos ang isang linggo ng page-espiya at paglulutas ng mga kasong in-assign sa kanya ni Mr. Y (with an influx of infidelity and homicide cases they received this month), Nova was relieved to spend her Friday inside the office.

She glanced at the scheduler on her desk, where notes and labels covered in her cursive handwriting were neatly organized.

"No cases today," she smiled in satisfaction. "That's new. Mukhang maaga akong makakauwi mamaya."

Just in time to pick up Nirvana from her ballet summer class. Naaalala ni Nova noong unang nai-bring up ng kanyang nakababatang kapatid ang tungkol sa pag-enroll doon. Noong una, maging si Nova ay nagulat sa request, especially since Nirvana never showed interested in dancing nor taking summer classes before, but after seeing the determination on her sister's face, they eventually caved in.

Ika nga niya, "ate, mas masaya pong gawin ang mga bagay na bago sa'yo, at tsaka wala namang masamang sumubok, 'di ba po?"

She was beyond proud that even at a young age, Nirvana had a mature mind. Kaya nga suportado sila rito, kahit na medyo hassle sunduin ang kanyang kapatid dahil nasa kabilang dulo pa ng bayan ang venue ng kanilang klase.

"Wala namang masamang sumubok," mahinang pag-uulit niya sa sinabi nito. Although they were talking about ballet, Nova had a hunch that Nirvana was also referring to something---or someone---else. Especially with teasing glint in her sister's eyes. Gosh, she wasn't even ten years old!

How could kids know so much?

'If only it were that simple.'

Deciding she needed another bite before starting her day, agad na tumayo ang dalaga at inayos ang kanyang cardigan. Outside, she wouldn't even dare wear this with the summer heat.

"Kaya swerte na lang talaga at air-conditioned ang opisina."

Smiling to herself, she made her way to the pantry. Her black heels clicked against the white marble floors, gaining the attention of several of her co-workers. Agad siyang binati ng mga ngiti at "Good morning, Ms. Brian!" ng mga ito. A few women complimented her outfit today while a couple of men blushed when she waved at them.

It was just another busy day inside SHADOW, one of Eastwood's best detective agencies.

She's Detective Briannova Carlos, also known as the Mistress of Disguise. One of the youngest female agents, Nova made quite the name for herself in the field. Noong unang mga buwan niya, halos hindi siya nagpapakita sa publiko. Because she had to go on fieldwork all the time with the cases she handles, maingat na inilihim ni Nova ang kanyang pagkatao. Being a detective is a risky game, where anyone and everyone can put you in danger the moment you let your guard down.