CAPITULUM 02

District police station
8:20 a.m.

---

Nova doesn't even want to know why she's here.

Noong una ay tinawanan pa niya si Rizee. Akala niya pina-prank lang siya ng district officer, at bibiruin pa sana niya ito dahil mukhang ang dami niyang oras para isingit pa ang panggu-good time at pagtawag kay Nova. But the seriousness in her voice gave it away---Rizee was telling the truth. And deep inside, she knew Rizee wouldn't be joking around when it comes to these kinds of stuff.

'Especially when it concerns Nico,' she bitterly thought and rushed out of SHADOW headquarters, spanish bread and Earl Grey tea completely forgotten.

"Nasaan siya?"

She asked the moment her heels met the pavement, stepping out of her car. Nakaabang na sa harapan ng presinto si Officer Rizee Mariano, her short hair with blue highlights can be spotted a mile away. Nakasandal lang ito sa may railings, suot ang standard police uniform ng Eastwood police.

Her blue eyes met Nova's.

"Does he usually complain about instant 3-in-1 coffee?"

Nova nodded.

"He dislikes instant coffee. Mas gusto niya ng black, freshly brewed if it's available. Half a tablespoon of sugar and served to him while its steaming hot," upon realizing her elaboration, the pink haired detective cleared her throat. "Not that he has much of a choice inside prison, of course."

Rizee smirked.

"Sounds just like him. Let's go."

On a normal day, she could imagine Rizee intimidating her colleagues with her nonchalant personality. A bit boyish and rough on the edges, but with an undeniable charm.

Nang pumasok sila sa presinto, agad silang sinalubong ng iritadong boses ng ilang police officers.

"Hoy, awat na! Kapag nalaman 'to nina Inspector Ortega, patay tayo!"

"Pre, kanina pa talaga niya sinusubok ang pasensiya ko, eh! Napakayabang! Kung hindi ka lang isang detective, kanina pa kita---"

"You should know, officer, that verbally abusing me won't make things right," a bored voice responded. "You can't even do you jobs right and now you can't even make coffee right... By Sherlock's name, can you do anything right, at all?"

Napairap si Nova nang marinig ang boses ng kanyang partner. Nasa bungad pa lang sila ng pinto ng mga selda, she can already imagine the greatest detective in Eastwood throwing a tantrum over a cup of coffee. 'He is such a drama king,' she mused and strode into the room.

"We'll take it from here," she told the officers that were keeping an eye on the detective.

Noong una ay para bang wala silang tiwala kay Nova, pero matapos niyang ipakita ang kanyang badge, they quickly realized they were talking to THE Detective Briannova Carlos and scurried away. Naiwan si Rizee na nakatayo malapit sa pinto, napapailing na lang sa insidente.

"I hope those two weren't giving you a rough time, Yuki. Ano na lang ang sasabihin ng Eastwood kapag nalaman nilang kinakawawa ang pinakamamahal nilang detective?"

Leisurely sitting on the floor at a far corner inside his cell, Detective Nico Yukishito didn't so much as lifted his eyes from the book he was reading.

"The next time you put me behind bars, make sure your district serves me better coffee."

Nova prompted a hand on her waist, tired of all the morning drama. Sumasakit na rin yata ang ulo niya sa sitwasyong ito. Friday na Friday! Gosh, bawal na ba talaga siyang magpahinga?

"Frankly, I'm more convinced na ang officers ninyo ang kinakawawa ng isang 'to," Nova commented.

With that, Nico lifted his eyes and smiled, revealing the set of dimples she hated so much.

"Hello, Miss Carlos," he greeted and lazily scanned her from head to toe. "Mukhang pinagtatagpo pa rin tayo ng tadhana. Oh, but it's pity you rushed over here and even left your spanish bread and Earl Grey tea this morning."

Hindi na niya tatanungin kung paano nito nalaman. Sanay na siya dahil hindi ito ang unang beses na nakakapag-deduce ang kanyang partner base sa simpleng obserbasyon. Nova had seen him work his outrageous talent on several random people throughout their cases, and it did come in handy in profiling killers. Nico has a rare condition that allows him to remember every single detail, down to the smallest piece of information, storing them away for future use inside the compartment of his head.

"Though, I admit, seeing you again while I'm in behind bars isn't something I fancy," he added and took a sip from his coffee mug.

Which leads to the ultimate question...

"Ano ba kasing ginawa mo, Yukishito?"

Despite in prison with his disheveled black hair and sleepwear--that just included a white shirt and black pajama pants--the greatest detective in Eastwood looked unfazed with the whole situation. Na para bang mas marami pa siyang importanteng kailangan intindihin kaysa sa katotohanang nakakulong siya ngayon. Nonetheless, he closed the book he was reading ("No Longer Human" by Dazai Osamu, the cover read), and answered, "Somebody is vying for my attention, Nova."

Palagi naman.

"And that should be a concern because...?"

Nico finally turned serious. "Unfortunately, that particular 'somebody' has the balls to use my name and address in a fake booking to deliver a parcel to a fake address."

"Nico, hindi kita maintidihan," Nova said in confusion. Nakatayo lang siya sa tapat ng selda, never breaking eye contact. "Kung isang prank booking pala ito, bakit hindi mo na lang kinausap ang rider?"

"Dahil ni-report niya agad ito sa awtoridad."

"Bakit naman?"

A dangerous smirk played on the detective's face, his eyes lit with challenge and a promise of retribution. An all-consuming, dark, and fiery passion for solving mysteries. Nova had seen that look many times in the past and it can only mean one thing...

"Because the parcel contains the bones of a dead person."

---