CAPITULUM 20

Insula Diaboli 
6:00 PM

The ballroom melted in a fine mixture of champagne, gold, and white silk.

Several servers clad in gold suits carried trays with rare labeled champage bottles, pinwheel sandwiches, and oysters with tequila mignonette. The orchestra's music filled the silence between the guests who could only exchange casual nods and hypocritical gazes. Stolen paintings, museum artifacts encased in glass, and a golden buddha statue in the middle of the display. The crystal chandelier bathed the enormous room in warm light, in a failed attempt to ease the tension.

But none of these called Nico's attention more than the bouquet of black roses on every table. Agad niyang naramdaman ang nakakasakal na atmospera nang makapasok sila sa venue. Mabuti na lang at masyadong abala ang iba pang mga bisita sa pagiging matapobre at makasarili para pansinin ang pagpasok nila.

'This entire island is a paradox,' Nico internally noted, eyes scanning their surroundings for any threat. 'A place like this is suppose to feel like a priceless paradise, not an expensive prison.'

"Let's all welcome this year's guests of honor! Mr. Nico Yukishito accompanied by Ms. Minnesota Gervacio---"

Damn Sherlock. Maybe he spoke too soon? Tsk.

Beside him, Min gently took his arm and smiled reassuringly. White looked good on her. Leaning closer to him, she lowered her voice. "I know how much this case means to you, but please don't stress yourself too much, okay?"

"On the contrary, stress is my middle name." He smirked. "I've always had trust issues with my birth certificate."

Min laughed.

But Nico was soon distracted by the sudden shift in the atmosphere when his name was announced. Eyes soon followed them to their assigned table, hushed whispers in between sips of champagne.

"---and Ms. Briannova Carlos, accompanied by Mr. Clyde Elton Snow," Bernie announced once more before gesturing their table to the other pair.

A role call? How unncecessary.

Lalong nagkagulo ang mga bisita. Hindi na kayang sapawan ng musika ang mga boses nila.

"Sila 'yon, 'di ba? Detectives Nico and Nova, yung mga taga-Eastwood."

"Oo, sila nga. Shit! What the hell are they doing here?"

"Who invited them?"

Oh? What a scandal! Now, this is what you call amusement...

Nico leaned against the chair, his eyes following the new-comers when they took the seat in front of them. Nova pulled her rose-colored hair up, with a few strays framing her heart-shaped face. Hindi nito naitago ang iritasyon sa kanyang mga mata. Nakasimangot ito, mukhang narinig na rin ang "bulungan" ng mga bisita. Sharp brown eyes bored into his, and he welcomed the question he knew was playing on the tip of her tongue.

"What's getting them so riled up? Gosh, para silang mga dagang nabulabog noong inanunsiyo ang mga pangalan natin."

"Bingo." Nico stole a glass from a server and poured himself a drink without even breaking eye contact. "Because they ARE just a bunch of rats, Miss Carlos."

Nova glared at him from across the table, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Enough with your guessing games, Yukishito. Is there something you're not telling us?"

Samantala, nagpalitan lang ng tingin ang magpinsan sa usapan ng dalawa. Maya-maya pa, may kinuhang papel si Nico mula bulsa ng kanyang champagne-colored suit. He took a sip from his glass and placed the paper on their table. Nova, Min, and Clyde gathered around to get a better view of the words---no, the names---handwritten on that piece of paper.

"I memorized the guest list I found in Bernie's study while he was having an afternoon nap and found one interesting common denominator among them."

What? He was bored.

"Well, it seems like you weren't the only one doing some 'snooping around' earlier," Clyde commented, making Nova flustered. Min eyed them  suspiciously, but before she could ask about it Nico cleared his throat and continued.

"There was an ulterior motive as to why these people were selected, after all. This is progress since before we had no idea what their guidelines are."

"Aside from their money and social popularity?" Nova inquired.

Lumawak ang ngiti ng binata, hindi alintana ang masasamang tinging itinatarak sa kanya ng iba pang mga bisita mula sa kabilang bahagi ng ballroom. He couldn't blame them, though. Especially since Nico discovered...

"Every single one of these 'guests' have a criminal record."

---