CAPITULUM 18

When his cousin first told him about the invitation, Clyde Snow already expected the worst. 

Even overseas, he has already heard about the rumors. The infamous detective duo of Eastwood who somehow always find themselves crossing hairs with either a serial killer, a psychopath, or both. Aamin ni Clyde, noong una ay may hesitasyon siyang tanggapin ang kasong ito. He wasn't someone who usually gets involved in the field.

He's a forensic anthropologist.

Clyde usually spends his time inside the confines of the laboratory or sometimes visit on-site after the crime unit cleared the area. Studying bones of the deceased and presenting the results. Kung tutuusin, wala siyang hands on experience sa pagdakip ng mga kriminal o paglulutas ng mga misteryo.

Kung kaya't nang ibinalita sa kanya ni Min ang paghingi ng tulong ni Detective Nico Yukishito, to say Clyde was shocked is a complete understatement.

'I guess there's always a first then,' Clyde thought before finishing his cup of afternoon tea.

Nonetheless, Clyde got the impression that Nico was a tad bit arrogant and antisocial. When he first brought it up to Min, she just sighed as if it's already a given fact.

"Nico just gives off that energy... but he's a good person, I swear. He's passionate, has a kind heart--"

"So, he has a heart? Wow."

"Clyde!"

Agad siyang sinimangutan ni Minnesota sa kumento niyang iyon. Clyde laughed and raised his hands up in defense, not wanting to bully his cousin's choice of a lover.

"Kidding! Hahahaha! Anyway, you know I'm just looking out for you, Min." Sumeryoso si Clyde.

"I know. Pero wala kang dapat ipag-alala."

"Good. Because rest assured, I'll punch him square in the jaw if he ever hurts you."

He had seen that look before. And in that moment, he understood the depth of Minnesota's trust. A trust that Clyde hopes that detective wouldn't waste.

And if Min trusts him enough to follow them to this island, then Clyde will too.

No matter how stupid and crazy this situation is.

Pagpatak ng alas-tres, napagdesisyunan ni Clyde na magliwaliw na muna sa labas habang hinihintay ang oras. Sa hindi niya maintindihang dahilan, tila ba hindi rin siya kumportableng magpahinga sa guest room. He didn't know if it was the uncanny decor or the overly expensive furniture, but Clyde felt as if eyes were watching him.

"Baka kailangan ko lang magpahangin. This mansion is already getting me anxious."

Taking his tweed coat with him, the forensic anthropoligist exited his room. Una niyang napansin ang pagiging abala ng mga kasambahay ng mansyon. Kaliwa't kanan ang maids na may dala-dalang mga dekorasyon at vases na naglalaman ng kulay itim na mga rosas. It seems to be a recurring theme here. When Clyde descended the grand staircase, he quickly noted an aged woman ordering the staff around. Sa kanyang naiibang pananamit at aura na tila hinubog na ng panahon at karanasan, Clyde easily identified the woman as the housekeeper.

When the housekeeper saw him, she immediately changed her expression into an friendly one.

How people are able to switch faces too quickly is something that always unnerved Clyde Snow.

"Good afternoon, Sir. Are you in need of anything?"

"Ah, nothing. Gusto ko lang sana magpahangin sa labas."

Still smiling quite eerily, the housekeeper nodded. "Understandable. Let me show you around the mansion. Mayroong malawak na courtyard katabi ng sapa sa gawing Silangan ng mansyon at.... teka, parang ngayon lang kita nakita?"

Agad na natigil ang housekeeper nang mapansin nito ang maid na dumaan sa likuran ni Clyde.

The housekeeper's eyes narrowed at the girl.

"Sino ka?" Pag-uulit nito.

Out of curiosity, Clyde glanced at the girl who attempted to cover her face with her dark hair. Nang titigan niya ito nang maigi, agad siyang napangiti nang makilala ang pamilyar na mga mata ng dalaga. 'What on earth is she doing dressing up like that?' Amused, Clyde quickly slung an arm over her shoulder and turned to the housekeeper.

"I think its best if she shows me around the mansion instead."

"Pero, Sir---!"

"No, it's okay." Clyde tried to play it cool as to not raise any suspicion. "Alam kong abala kayo sa preperasyon para mamaya. Apologies for disturbing you, ma'am. We'll be on our way, then."

Tumalim ang mga mata ng housekeeper sa dalaga, pero dahil ayaw nitong mapasama pa sa paningin ng isang bisita, she curtly nodded and let them get away with it.

Clyde started whistling as he casually nagivated their way out the mansion.

Sa kanyang tabi, napabuntong-hininga na lang ang dalaga.

"Paano mo 'ko nakilala?"

"Secret."

"Okay. But you didn't need to do that, you know."

"I know," he honestly replied. "But it's always a pleasure to be of assistance to a detective every once in a while."

Nang makalayo na sila sa mansyon, agad na kumalas sa kanyang pagkakaakbay si Nova. She suspiciously raised an eyebrow at him and asked, "Aren't you gonna ask why I'm dressed like this in the first place?"

"No."

He was curious, yes. But Clyde wasn't going to meddle with their job.

Nova sighed. "I can't find anything useful yet. I've already snooped around the entire second floor. Nahanap ko ang opisina ni Madame Amara Hartwick sa pinakadulong bahagi ng East wing, but it was locked."

"I bet that housekeeper has the keys."

"I'll take note of that next time," Nova said and dusted off her skirt. "Hindi ko lang talaga inakalang kabisado niya ang mukha ng mga kasambahay rito at ganoon katalas ang mata niya para mapansin niya ako mula sa malayo."

"Be careful next time, Miss Carlos." Seryosong bilin ni Clyde. "Something's definitely off with the people inside this mansion. Kung may maitutulong kami ni Minnesota sa imbestigasyon, please inform us."

With that, Nova smiled. "Just like your cousin. Nasa dugo niyo ba talaga pagiging matulungin to the point of putting yourselves in danger?"

Clyde returned the smile.

But soon, they were interrupted when a golf ball zoomed in the space between them.

"Sorry there! Am I interrupting something?"

The two turned to a man lazily leaning against a tree, golf club in one hand. A mischievous smirk playing on the foreign bastard's lips. Ngayon lang ito nakita ng dalaga. Mukhang maging ang ibang mga panauhin ay nabagot sa kani-kanilang mga silid habang hinihintay ang pagsisimula ng ball. Sa kabilang banda naman, dumilim ang mga mata ni Clyde nang makita ang lalaki. Nova sensed a brewing dislike, if the anthropologist's clenched fists isn't an indication already.

"You know him?"

Clyde scowled. "Met him overseas during one of my conferences in Europe. He's trouble, that's all you need to know, Miss Carlos."

---