CAPITULUM 16

Detective Briannova Carlos felt like she was trapped inside a classic mystery novel.

Unfortunately, being left alone in a luxurious guest room inside a (most probably) dead billionaire's island mansion stirred more questions than answers. Nang maiakyat ng ilang kasambahay ang kanyang mga bagahe, agad na bumungad kay Nova ang nakalatag na damit sa gitna ng queen-sized bed.

'Aren't they being too generous?'

A floor-length champagne-colored gown paired with a neatly printed note with her name and a single black rose. Hindi na kailangang silipin ng detective ang label para malamang mamahalin ito. The Mistress of Disguise has already dealt with plenty of clothes in the past, developing a keen eye for even the smallest details---the type of fabric, stitching, and manufacturer.

Sa huli, imbes na makapagpahinga, binuno ni Nova ang buong maghapon sa pagsusulat sa kanyang notepad at paghahanap ng clue sa mga nangyayari. She was only interrupted a couple of times when the maids brought in her food and took out the trays, bringing her tea upon her request.

"Madame Amara Hartwick... But if she really is dead, then why are we here? Bakit kinailangan pa nilang lumikha ng stunt gamit ang mga buto niya? They clearly did it to get Nico's attention, making sure he accepted that damned invitation..."

Obviously, it worked.

Crossing out several words on her notepad, Nova flicked her pink ballpen aside and sighed in frustration.

"It'll be over soon, Brian. Kailangan niyo lang umattend sa ball mamaya," Nova convinced herself, attempting to cast aside the terror that drilled deep into her bones. Hindi sana siya mago-overthink kung hindi lang dahil sa mga artikulong nabasa niya tungkol sa Devil's Island.

Mga imbitasyong ipinapadala.

Mga sikreto ng makasaysayang Insula Diaboli's Ball.

Mga bisitang hindi na nakita muli ng kanilang pamilya.

At this point, can anyone really blame her for overthinking? Hindi pa nakatulong na nawalan na siya ng signal kanina pang madaling-araw. They literally have no way to contact those in Eastwood unless they trace whatever is disrupting the signal on this island or find out how the head butler was able to communicate with them before. Pero siyempre, hindi naman nila pwedeng tapikin sa balikat si Bernie at kaswal na tanunging, "Hey, can we use the phone? Gagamitin lang naming pantawag sa mga awtoridad sa Eastwood." She cringed imagining that scenario, especially since the people here seems to be hell-bent on keeping this island's location a secret they'll take to their graves.

"Gosh, nababaliw na yata ako rito!"

Glancing at the fancy dress once more, Nova stood up and rummaged through her suitcase.

Let's see what she can find inside this cursed mansion.

*

On the other side of the hallway, Minnesota Gervacio was having a hard time absorbing her situation. Bukod sa inisyal na gulat niya sa garbo ng mansyon at sa puting long dress na nakalatag sa kanyang kama, Min found Nico's action as equally concerning. Before they parted ways, she noted the tightness in his jaw and the dark look in his eyes as the detective scanned the inside of the place.

Min had never seen him so tense before.

And if the greatest detective in Eastwood finds this whole predicament worth being cautious about, she has every reason to fear for her own safety.

'Pero nagdesisyon akong sundan sila rito. And no matter how dangerous this island is, I promised Nico I'll go with him anywhere. I won't be a burden to them.'

Sitting on the edge of her bed, Min unconsciously touched the pendant of her necklace. Ang parehong kwintas na regalo sa kanya ng kanyang ina. Naaalala niya na naman ang pag-aalala nito noong ipinagpaalam niya ang "trip" na ito. In the end, her mother supported her decision and bid her farewell, while still fumbling about how she couldn't call Min despite being better at using a phone. Nabanggit na rin kasi ni Min na hindi na niya muna ito mako-contact dahil walang signal sa isla. Even her bestfriend Feralda was frustrated when she found out, but quickly hugged and shooed her away to resume her shift that day. "Friend, bumalik ka agad, ha? Alam mo namang dumog tayo ng mga pasyente ngayon!" Bilin pa nito sa kanya. Until now, Min could only think about the job she left at Eastwood General Hospital, how they'll be one nurse short this weekend. She already misses it.

She already misses them.

Min took in a deep breath, convincing herself that everything will be alright.

This isn't the time to be homesick.

She glanced at the grandfather clock inside her bedroom.

2:34 PM.

'The ball doesn't start until 6PM,' she remembered what one of the maids told her before leaving her to her own devices. Dahil dito, napagdesisyunan ni Min na magpahangin na lamang muna sa labas. She felt like the four walls of this room was slowly suffocating her. But before she could turn the doorknob, Min suddenly heard muffled voices on the other side.

'Why does the voice sound angry? May nag-aaway ba?'

Pressing her ear against the mahogany door, Min strained to listen to the conversation.

But before she could even make a word of what the person was saying, whoever was speaking outside her room suddenly stopped.

Silence.

Quick footsteps.

Min tentatively opened the door and peered into the hallway, finding an empty space. Napasimangot siya.

'What was that?'

---