CAPITULUM 10

Night Sparrow's Teahouse
4:00 p.m.

---

DURING their first meeting at this exact same teahouse and when they were first partnered to solve the Heartless Killer case, Detective Briannova Carlos was only a few minutes later than their meeting time.

As messy as Nico was in other aspects of his life, he was punctual when he wanted to be.

Kaya noong naabutan niyang nakaupo sa parehong pwesto---sa pinakadulo ng shop---si Nico, hindi niya maiwasang ikumpara ang unang beses ng pagkikita nila. This time, she wasn't trying to hide her pink hair and he wasn't trying to pass judgement on everyone like some kind of god because of boredom. Nakatitig lang ito sa menu habang nakasimangot.

'Typical emo. He either hates humanity or hates a cup of tea.'

"Stop pretending. I know you won't order anything from that menu," Nova commented and sat on the chair across from him. Kinuha niya ang kanyang laptop mula sa bag nito at sinimulang magtipa. Pagkasundo nila kay Nirvana kanina, Nova did a quick research about the island and its owner. She was too engrossed in her work that she didn't even bother sparing him a glance. "So why bother reading it if you don't like any of it?"

Nico put down the menu and slid it across the table towards her. He knew she's the one who liked tea.

"Out of politeness."

"Wow," Nova stopped typing and glanced at him. "At kailan ka pa natutong maging 'polite'? Here I thought that word didn't exist in your dictionary."

"Ha-ha, very funny."

Maya-maya pa, dumako ang mga mata ni Nico sa kanyang relo. It was his favorite Elmo-printed wristwatch, a childish timepiece for a detective. Hindi alam ni Nova kung bakit obsessed si Nico sa relong 'to, pero palagi niya rin niya itong napapansin tuwing may mga kaso sila.

"Sino pa bang hinihintay natin?"

"Ah, just the two more people accompanying us with our trip."

Doon na nagtaka si Nova sa sinabi nito. "Nabibingi na ba ako o sinabi mo talagang 'two more people'? I thought each of us can have a 'plus one', kaya bakit dalawa ang sinama mo?"

"Dahil alam kong hindi ka nagsama ng iba. As close as you and that attorney are, I know you would never put a good man in danger, Nova." Nico leaned against the chair and explained, "so I took the liberty of choosing who your 'plus one' will be."

She was speechless.

Pero hindi na niya nagawang maka-recover nang bigla na lang lumapit sa kanila ang dalawang tao. Agad na nakilala ni Nova ang babae. Sa kasamaang-palad, palaging nadadawit ang nurse na ito sa kanilang mga kaso. In their most recent case, she was the one who even saved Nico from near death.

"Minnesota?"

"It's great to see you again, detective!" The nurse beamed at her.

Sunod na ibinaling ni Nova ang kanyang atensyon sa matangkad na lalaking katabi ni Min. He was wearing glasses and a tweed coat with black shirt underneath. Maamo itong ngumiti sa kanila at ipinakilala ang kanyang sarili.

"You must be the famous Detectives, Nico Yukishito," he glanced at Nico who only shrugged. His gaze then turn to her, "and Briannova Carlos. I'm Clyde Elton Snow, Minnesota's second cousin. Just call me Clyde."

Hindi pa rin maintindihan ni Nova ang mga nangyayari. Well, given that Minnesota and Nico are now (annoyingly) close to each other, if from the way she casually took the seat beside him was any indication. Pero anong ginagawa ng pinsan ni Min dito? At 'wag niyang sabihing isasama nila ang dalawang ito sa Insula Diaboli when they've already established that that island is dangerous! Nababaliw na talaga si Nico, Nova can confirm it.

Nang bakas pa rin ang pagkawala ni Nova sa sitwasyon, ang greatest detective ng Eastwood na ang nagpaliwanag.

"Clyde here is a forensic anthropologist, Nova. If there's anyone who knows skeletal remains, it's him. Meanwhile, Minnesota's background in medicine and first aid might be of use," Nico said as if it was obvious. "Whatever dangers lurk in the Devil's Island, we'll come prepared."

She raised an eyebrow. "I thought you didn't like collaborating. Sigurado ka bang ikaw si Nicodemus Yukishito?"

The detective smirked and steered the conversation.

"Now that the team's assembled, let's get down to business. May nalaman ka ba tungkol sa may-ari ng isla, Nova?"

"Kay Madame Amara Hartwick? Halos wala. I could trace her family tree up to her parents, but from there I have no data whether or not she had siblings or even graduated college. Ang tanging background lang na nasagap ko ay self-made billionaire siya. She owned several businesses in the main land before she took interest in owning an island. Walang nabanggit kung saan ang eksaktong lokasyon ng Insula Diaboli, pero huling naitala na may tinitingnan siyang island property close to the infamous Bermuda Triangle."

Nova almost shivered when she read that part. Sapat na ang mga kwento at artikulong nabasa niya tungkol sa Bermuda Triangle. It was also known as the Devil's triangle, a region of the North Atlantic Ocean where dozens of aircraft and ships mysteriously disappeared.

Devil's Triangle. Devil's Island.

How fitting.

"That's interesting," Nico noted. "It makes sense with the theme."

"Anong theme?" Min inquired. Meanwhile, Clyde looked curious yet nervous sitting beside his cousin.

"Disappearing... Over the years, more than 50 ships and 20 airplanes have mysteriously disappeared when they entered the region called the Bermuda Triangle---the Devil's Triangle. Ang iba ay walang distress signal na nai-transmit, it was as if they vanished in inside that area---never heard nor seen again. Much like the guests who were invited to the Devil's Island... ayon sa resources na nakuha ko kanina sa Eastwood police, bigla na lang silang naglaho mula noong maimbitahan sila sa islang iyon. Nobody found their remains," Nico suddenly turned serious. Staring at each and every one of them. "People have a valid reason to try to stop us from accepting the invitation... because the moment we step foot on Insula Diaboli, we might never be heard nor seen again."

---