CAPITULUM 19

Olympia felt hopeless.

She felt like she failed Detective Briannova Carlos. 

Failed herself.

Huli na noong napag-alaman niyang sinundo na ng barko ang dalawang detectives at ang dalawa pa nitong kasama. That evening, Olympia quite literally dragged both Xavier and Yuan to the docks in a last attempt to save their successors. Pero sa kasamaang-palad, hindi pumanig sa kanila ang tadhana at naipit pa sila sa traffic.

Upon reaching the area, a thuderstorm already threatened them to not interfere with the course of nature.

The outline of the familiar ship a small speck in the dark horizon.

Hindi sinagot ni Brian ang kanyang mga tawag at alam niyang kaninang madaling-araw ay tuluyan na silang nawalan ng komunikasyon sa kanila.

History repeats itself indeed.

"I'm so sorry, Brian... I should've told you about my past sooner," Olympia's voice trembled as her fingers tentatively reached into the compartment behind her wooden closet. Hindi niya maiwasang lamunin ng kanyang konsensiya lalo't alam niya kung anong kahaharapin nila sa isla. Kung naikwento ba ni Olympia ang lahat kay Brian, mauunawaan kaya nito? Mababago pa kaya ni Olympia ang isip niya?

Magbabago kaya ang tingin niya kay Olympia?

The woman cursed under her breath, unlatching the small compartment she vowed not to open again.

Old newspaper articles spilled on the floor. A framed photograph of the Olympia, Xavier, and Yuan during their younger years, happier days---before the tragedy happened between the three of them on that island.

A single black rose petal sitting on top of her old journal.

A remnant that haunts her up until this day.

"Please return to Eastwood safely, Brian."

Olympia still felt guilty.

Because soon these kids will be forced to deal and uncover the past the three of them left on Devil's Island.

Once upon a time, that past had a name

And he called himself the Bone Curator.

---