Chapter 8 - In Which a Reunion Occurs

In the brief time that she spent in the restaurant, Tracey found that the streets of Strattengear had exploded in population, chock-full of pedestrians on their daily activities, converging into a rather disagreeable location for such a crowd—a town with too few shops for its residents. People flooded the sidewalks and the roads, leaving little room for steam-carriages or horse-drawn carriages to weave among the people.

Tracey fared no better than these vehicles of transportation. She wove through the masses, holding her head high to scan for any possible glimpse of Bentam. It's impossible to find him in this crowd! Meridith never said Strattengear was so populated, she thought in dismay as she narrowly avoided a group of people who had stopped to earnestly discuss a pamphlet. She sniffed, glancing at the gathering before brushing past. They couldn't have stopped into another shop, could they? she thought as she marched onward.

Tracey juggled the package in her hands. Neither Mittie nor Bentam... If I can't find anyone in town, she thought, they must be back at the manor. Tracey stepped onto the cobblestone street and looked for Constant's steam-carriage in the middle of the square. "Ah, he's hasn't moved," she said. "I can deliver this to Mr. Nidaye, then locate Mittie...and Bentam might think to visit the manor directly to find me... No, Mr. Nidaye wants me to deliver this at dinner...ah...what should I do with this package in the meanwhile, then?"

As Tracey made her way to the town square, muttering all the while to herself, she failed to notice the small group of people who had split from the sidewalk in quick pursuit after her.

Perhaps this was the reason why Tracey Higgenbottom, a self-declared gentlewoman, screamed as an individual from the group pulled her arm and abruptly halted her journey, causing her to drop the package in the process.

Run, was all poor Tracey could think as her heart pounded and a thrill of shock passed through her. Thankfully, the individual just as quickly released her.

In a matter of seconds, Tracey grabbed the package, stepped several paces away, and spun to face the group.

She blinked. "...Mittie?" she said. The fright of the moment left Tracey at her wit's ends. She blankly stared at her friend, her hands shakily clutching the package as if it could anchor her. I don't know if I should be relieved that it's Mittie, or upset that she startled me so badly, Tracey thought.

"Tracey...I'm sorry," Mittie stammered, standing with her arm still outstretched and eyes wide. "I didn't realize that... I mean, I should've warned you... Ah-I mean—"

"Mittie," said a stranger beside her.

Tracey blinked, noticing the two strangers beside Mittie for the first time. The stranger that stood closest to Mittie, glared at her, his tall figure towering over. Tracey noticed his short, clipped hair, its little coils tight to his head. He wore a fashionable attire — his blue waistcoat embellished with what Tracey recognized to be the latest fashion of embroidery: gear and steam emblems entwined in vines and flowers. Is he related? Tracey thought, looking between her and the man. At any rate, the clothing alone suggests he's someone of status.

On Mittie's other side stood a young woman, her features strikingly similar to Mittie's. She clutched a book in her hands and nervously eyed the man, Mittie, and Tracey all at once. Tracey glanced at the woman's gown. It resembled Mittie's dress, being a soft shade of lilac and also of the latest fashion.

The man — who had stopped Mittie's babble —held out a hand to Tracey, frowning apologetically. "I apologize for my sister," he said. "She knows better than to act so recklessly."

"I beg your pardon—" Mittie began to protest.

"I am Samuel Nidaye," her brother continued, ignoring her.