Chapter 9 - In Which Discussions Take Place

Tracey perched on the edge of a sofa, staring in bewilderment at the unexpected reunion.

Mittie, who had since opened the grand room's shutters and subsequently let in the bright morning sunlight, leaned against a window, merrily chatting with Bentam, Harriet, and Charlie. Bentam, having situated himself on one of many chairs in the airy salon, returned Mittie's conversation with surprising animation, looking not at all like the solemn, curt man that Tracey had first met at the High Constable office.

Nearby sat Charlie and Harriet, who - newly retired from their chimney sweep business - looked refreshed and cheerful. Tracey smiled as she noticed their fashionable yet simple clothing. The siblings had moved in with Bentam (who had graciously offered rooming for them) shortly after the events of Mr. Porter's disappearance. Their attire's simplicity suggested Bentam had a personal hand in choosing their wardrobe. Tracey ducked her head to hide a smile as she imagined Bentam fretting about in a fabric shop, trying to figure out the best material to pick for the children.

"I still can't believe Bentam never told you about his coming today, Trace!" Mittie said, breaking Tracey out of her thoughts.

"Yes, I can't believe it myself," Tracey agreed, casting a withering stare at Bentam. He squirmed under the sudden spotlight. "Did you not say you'd send me motor mail, Bentam?" she continued.

"I...did say that, yes," Bentam said, loudly clearing his throat. "I simply thought it would be more secure to discuss whatever your issue is in-person."

"Don't you have work?" Tracey persisted. "I didn't know you could just up and leave across the country at a moment's notice? And Charlie and Harriet-they can't be missing their lessons at school!"

"I may have called out for the next week...or two. And I've carried their schoolwork with me." (The latter half of his statement invoked distressed groans from both Harriet and Charlie.)

Tracey stared at Bentam. He was terribly eager to leave his job. Perhaps he was in want of a vacation more than he's admitting! "Well," she said with an amused smirk, "you could have at least let me know!"

"I suppose I could have. It must've slipped my mind."

"I'm sure it did!" Charlie said with an indignant pout. "You practically rushed Harrie and me from school yesterday, just to pack our bags and hop on the next steam carriage here!"

"I'd hardly call what he did rushing, Charlie," Harriet sniffed. "He was just stopping you from sneaking off to The Undertown again."

"Do you still go there, Charlie?" Mittie said. "I would think you'd be glad to move out!"

"Right, except all my friends are there!" Charlie sighed. "I just like to visit 'em every now and again. Besides, Bentam could've left without us anyhow!"

"I'm not leaving you two unattended in my house!" Bentam exclaimed.

"Alright, we could've spent the night at our old home, then," he said with a shrug. "It's not done being fixed up yet, but it's still sleep-able, right?"

"No, Charlie, it's not safe," Harriet patiently said. "Besides, aren't you glad to see Tracey again?"

"Gears, aren't I!" Charlie said with a grin. "Still doesn't change the fact that he didn't have to rush us like he did. No offense, Trace."

"None taken. Have you nothing to say for yourself, Mr. Berkley?" Tracey said, her eyes twinkling at the banter. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed this until now! she thought. "Somehow, you'd managed to inform Mittie of your arrival and even arranged for us to meet here this morning, and yet neglected to tell her to-at the very least-notify me of such a meeting?"