Chapter 12 - In Which (Another) Identity is Revealed

"And here we are, the kitchen!" Meridith said as the two women reached the back stairs of Gearshend Manor.

It was a narrow and unremarkable flight of steps, almost hidden behind a large bush that obscured a majority of the path leading to the area.

"Hm," Tracey sniffed. "I thought they would have a better entrance than this considering the size of the rest of the house."

"Why would they need it?" Meridith said. "We have a larger entrance for deliveries on the other side of the manor, but this one suffices for a quick entry."

"I suppose," Tracey conceded. "But where will I be putting my things?"

"That's another reason why I led you here," Meridith said. "This is a shortcut to the guest wing of the manor—the housekeeping hallways. I can take you to the empty room without running into any guests!"

Perfect, Tracey thought as she followed her friend down the stairs and up another set. That should save us some time.

"So," Meridith said as she guided Tracey down a hallway illuminated by bright steam lights, "what's with the package?"

Tracey had resorted to juggling the box as she hoisted her travel bag in the crotch of her arm, finding the travel bag to be much more cumbersome than she had originally anticipated. It was a very gangly pose, to say the least.

"It's nothing," Tracey grunted, narrowly avoiding tripping on a bump in the hallway's runner.

"You know, I can hold something for you—"

"No, I'm fine, thank you, Meridith."

Meridith frowned, then shrugged. "Alright," she said, turning a corner in the hall. "You've always been like this anyway, so I shouldn't be surprised."

Tracey paused and repositioned the two items into a more comfortable position. "How so?" she warily said.

"Independent," she replied.

Meridith's observation rang true—Tracey Higgenbottom was not one to easily accept offered help. How I managed to assemble an entire team is beyond me, she thought, shaking her head.

"Over here," Meridith said, pausing at a door. She creaked the door ajar and peeked inside. "Yes, this is one of the empty guest rooms."

Tracey followed Meridith into a brightly-lit room.

The guest room was as ornate as the sunroom Tracey had been in the previous day, undoubtedly to silence any possible qualm that a said guest would have on its lack of decorum. Sparse was not a word to describe the chamber, as everything from its lush velvet curtains to its thick rugs and plush bedding proudly proved that the Nidayes were not only a wealthy family but a hospitable one, not withholding their hand of fortune from their temporary residents in order that their stay remained unmatched to any previous venture from their homes or ventures to come.

Simply speaking, the room was very heavily decorated.

Tracey's eyes rested on the grand oak door opposite them. That must be the main entrance to the room, she thought, looking at the smaller, less conspicuous door that they had entered from. "You can leave your things anywhere in here," Meridith said, locking the large oak door. "I'll tell the rest of the staff that this room is now occupied."

"Thank you, Meridith," Tracey said as she placed her bag and hung her dress into the wardrobe. She hesitated with Mr. Nidaye's package, however. I don't trust leaving this out of my sight... she thought, her clutch tightening on it. But Meridith will wonder about it if I keep carrying it. Tracey glanced at her friend.