Chapter 14 - In Which a Clue is Opened

Much to her surprise, Tracey easily relocated her room, finding the maid Lorea waiting outside. "Ah, Ms. Higgenbottom," she said with a small bob of the head, her face lightening as she caught sight of her approaching figure. "Are you going to the solarium now?"

"Yes, thank you," Tracey said, falling in stride with Lorea as they began their journey.

The two women wove through elaborate halls and ornamented staircases, each area encrusted from the ceiling to the floor with golden filigree. Tracey squinted as her eyes adjusted against the glittering metal. Just how wealthy is this family? she thought, tilting her head back to stare at the large chandeliers that dotted the ceiling.

"Do keep up, miss," Lorea said.

"Yes, sorry," Tracey said, closing the gap that had grown between herself and the maid.

For the duration of the walk, Lorea cast more than one inquisitive look at the package tucked beneath Tracey's arm. "You didn't want to leave that in your quarters?" she finally said, hesitantly gesturing to the package. "I should have asked you that earlier before I started walking. I could take it back with me so you don't have to carry it everywhere!"

"No, it's quite alright," Tracey said with a friendly nod. "Thank you."

Lorea frowned. "Are you quite certain?"

"Yes?" Tracey said with a frown of her own. "Is there something the matter?"

"Oh—no, no," the maid said with a vehement shake of her head. "Don't worry about it. I was just concerned you may find it to be cumbersome, and wanted to help however I can."

"That's very kind of you, but no thank you," Tracey firmly replied.

Lorea nodded, keeping her gaze focused on the woven carpeting. "Sorry," she muttered.

For a moment, Tracey felt a twinge of regret seeing the hurt on Lorea's face. That regret was quickly squashed, however, as she shook her head and refocused her attention. She was being too nosy anyways, she thought with a sniff.

I wonder where everyone is? Tracey thought, peering at the countless doorways they passed. Mr. Nidaye had said he'd be leaving out, but did that include the entire manor, too? Just what is he planning? Her grip tightened on the package. And how does he expect I can prevent a crime?

She pushed the uneasy thoughts away as they slowed to a stop in front of a set of large, blue doors. The door was quite unique with its golden patterns and carved wood, melding together into a rich, intricate design. "What beautiful constellations!" Tracey said, her hands lightly brushing the pattern of stars. It certainly looks like the sort of doors a solarium would have.

"Yes, indeed," Lorea said. "I'll see you around, Ms. Higgenbottom." The maid curtsied and retreated down the hallway.

A solid knock procured no answer.

"Perhaps they didn't hear me..." Tracey muttered, jiggling the door handle.

It turned with ease.

"Or, I let myself in?" she said. Cautiously, Tracey peeked within.

The room matched the scheme of which the door's colors suggested. Its woodwork was painted a dark blue, and golden accents could be spotted everywhere in the space—from the wall paneling to the many, fern-filled pots in the room. Bright afternoon sunlight streamed in from the glass ceilings, casting a lovely gridwork of shadows from the panes. Among the foliage were chaises strewn about the room. On these navy blue cushions sat Bentam, Charlie, Harriet, and Mittie.

"Trace!" Mittie said, jumping to her feet as soon as she spotted her arrival. "There you are! You didn't forget about this meeting, did you?"

"How could I? You sent a messenger for me," Tracey dryly replied, closing the door as she stepped in. She spanned the room, carefully stepping around pots. "What is this place? A jungle?" she said as she reached an unoccupied chaise and perched on its edge.