Chapter 2

Pierre was standing outside his team principles office, working up the courage to open the door. Franz Tost had called him a day ago and asked to meet with him in person, so Pierre had left Milan, booked a hotel room, and driven to the AlphaTauri headquarters.

He wasn't sure why Franz wanted to speak with him, but he was a bit nervous. Maybe he's seen the way the media talks about me and Yuki and he thinks we're together. I'm getting fired. I know it. Pierre thought.

"Ah, Pierre, right on time." Franz said with a quick smile. Pierre's boss motioned for him to come in and take a seat. Once Franz saw that Pierre was seated, he started talking. "Pierre, I know that you had made the decision to stay here next season, but Alpine are looking for a new driver following Fernando's departure, and they have offered the seat to you."

Pierre just stared at him, not sure if he was being for real or not.

Franz continued upon seeing Pierre's expression. "Now I know that you enjoy it here, and you have a special connection with Yuki-"

But Pierre cut him off. "No, it's fine. I'd love to go to Alpine. It's a great opportunity for me and my career." He gave a reassuring smile.

"Great! We already have arrangements for next years driver set up. I think this will be great for you." Franz said while standing up to escort Pierre out of his office. "We should plan on announcing this sooner rather than later, so just go ahead and tell Yuki as soon as you can. I think it's best if he finds out from you."

Pierre nodded as he left the room. He pulled out his phone and called Yuki, who immediately picked up.

"Pierre! I was just about to call you." Yuki said. Pierre could hear the nervousness in Yuki's voice.

"Oh, what did you need?"

"I-uh..." Yuki paused for a minute. "Actually this is something better talked about in person. Would you maybe want to meet up for dinner or something?"

Pierre had planned on just telling Yuki about moving teams over the phone, but the more he thought about it the better of an idea it seemed to tell him in person.

"Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. I should probably tell you my thing in person too." Pierre responded.

They sorted out when and where, said their goodbyes,and hung up. Pierre checked the time. 5:37PM. And they had planned to meet at 7, so Pierre rushed home to get ready.

~

Pierre pulled up to Yuki's house and texted him he was there. He readjusted the collar of his shirt for the fifth time, and ran his hand through his hair. He wasn't sure why he was so nervous, they had dinner out together all the time, what was different now?

He was quickly snapped out of his thoughts when he heard his passenger side door open, and saw Yuki get in. They sat in silence for most of the drive, Yuki occasionally commenting on the scenery.

Once they got to the restaurant, they walked in and were quickly seated. They sat in awkward silence for a minute, with Yuki refusing to make eye contact.

"So," Pierre finally spoke up. "It's been a nice bit of off time with the Grand Prix being cancelled, huh?" The Russian Grand Prix that year had been cancelled for obvious reasons.

"Yeah, It's been nice." Much to Pierre's relief, Yuki started to talk about what he'd been doing in their time off, saving them from the awkward silence.

The two eventually fell into a more natural conversation when their dinner was brought out, and once they were almost finshined, Pierre spoke.

"So, what did you want to talk about." The whole dinner Yuki had seemed to be acting more normal than he had since the Italian GP, but as soon as Pierre spoke, he could see Yuki becoming embarrassed and looking like he had before the dinner.