044 | trick or treat

xlvi

xlvi.  darkness falls across the
land, the midnight hour is at hand

EJ WALKED INTO THE KENNEDY HOUSE, the one that he had called home all summer. It was strange knowing that his father was next door but would ignore him if he saw him - but he didn't care anymore.

Andy was dressed in the classic purple Daphne outfit from scooby doo and as she looked down the stairs, she could see he was in his matching Fred Rogers outfit.

"Wow," EJ muttered under his breath, the same way he did when he saw her in her prom dress when she went as his date.

She rushed down the stairs, hand gliding against the banister as she ran toward him. It had been so hectic that they hadn't seen each other in person for two weeks.

He laughed as she wrapped her arms around him tightly, him lifting her off the ground ever so slightly at the impact.

EJ pulled away, looking at her, "My beautiful girlfriend," he muttered, hands on her hips as his eyes trailed down her body.

Her face went red, she still wasn't used to his compliments. He leaned forward, pressing a chaste kiss to her lips that she tried to pull into something more.

Her uncle cleared his throat and she looked over to see him and her mum standing in the doorway to the next room, looking at the couple.

They were happy that she was happy. It had been a good month since school started, her mother was better but it was hard for her without EJ

"We're going to the hospital for an overnight checkup tonight," James said, his eyebrows raised, "You'll be home alone,"

"Are you staying the weekend EJ?" Sophie asked. He looked at her; she looked healthier, a happier smile on her face.

He nodded, "If that's okay with you Sophie,"

She walked over, her body stronger than it had been at the start of summer. She patted him on the shoulder, "Of course my boy,"

"We should get going," James said, picking up a duffle bag from the floor.

After taking a few photos of the couple in their costumes, they left, leaving the couple alone in the hallway.

He looked at her, hands falling back to her hips. There was a giddy smile on his face, this time last year, he hadn't expected to be in this position or this happy.

EJ leaned in to kiss her, dipping her slightly, "You look beautiful, have I told you that?" He asked, an almost giddy smile on his face