Chapter 26: Changes in Paces, and Looking Forward

Suisei yawned as she stretched, eyes still closed. Golden sunbeams trickled through the room, a rose tint to the glow caused by the pink curtain hanging low over the window. As she shifted, a beam caught her shut eye, making her wince. She shifted onto her side, rubbing her eyelids as another yawn tore through her body.

"Sui-chan. Time to wake up. Big day today, remember?"

The voice of her lover called out to her like an angel from heaven. Despite the sheer love she felt, she still wanted to be reclaimed by the world of dreams.

"Five more minutes-" she tried rasping out before being cut off by yet another yawn.

"None of that. I already let you sleep in longer than I should have."

A hand touched her cheek, and a pair of lips gently pressed against her own. They slowly peeled away, forcing her eyes to blink open. She was greeted by the smiling face of none other than Miko.

"There she is. Good morning, Sui-chan."

She finished stretching her back before sitting up in bed. "Mornin' Mikochi. What time is it?"

"Nine thirty. Time for you to start getting ready."

The comet let out a groan. "Why'd I have to schedule this meeting so damn early?"

Miko chuckled. "Because you said 'as early as possible,' and I knew there was no way you'd make it to a ten o'clock meeting."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever, just gimme a sec."

Miko placed a finger on her chin as she looked onward at her beloved idol, resting her weary eyes and groaning like an elderly woman dealing with morning pains. "How about this? You get moving now and I'll give you another kiss."

Sure, it wasn't anything Suisei hadn't received before, but the woman was a sucker for affection. That statement doubled when accounting for Miko being the one giving her the affection.

She weakly rasped out: "Fiiiiiine," before finally shifting and standing up. As though hardly even afflicted by sleep, started jumping on her tiptoes, swinging her arms out to her sides. When she finished, her eyes opened fully, a smile flashing on her face. "Yo, Mikochi! Mornin'!"

Miko simply shook her head at the antics before wrapping the taller woman in an embrace. "Get dressed. I've got breakfast in the kitchen." She placed a quick peck on the idol's lips before breaking away and leaving the room.

"Yes, ma'am!"

***

"Alright, guess I'd better get going."

"Hmm? You're not gonna take the car?"

Suisei hummed for a second. "Nah. It's nice out. Might as well get a good walk in."

"Alright, if you say so. Just let me know when you get there, yeah?"

"Sure thing, Mikochi!~"

She walked on the paver pathway through the shrine she'd come to call home. The birds were tweeting, signaling the imminent return of spring. There was a breeze that was just cooler than she'd like, but the sun did its job well and warmed her up with gentle kisses against her skin. The grass was gaining its green color back and the clouds had abandoned the sky. It was a great day for a walk.